Tiger75

Door Panel Silver Strip Question

7 posts / 1280 viewsLast Reply

I bought some silver mylar strips to make my late model lower door strips look good. The old mylar came off easy. The new strip sticks on the curved side fairly good but when i tried to fold it over the top and bottom edge, it just pops back up. I have tried heat , more heat and even a bead of clear silocone. The chrome mylar just won't stick to the top and bottom edges of the strip. Any body get this to work? How?

Any body had luck with chrome paint on this strip?

Can this strip be removed and reinstalled? I have been working with it attached to the door panel.

I've had the same problems you are having...I think there is other chrome tape out there that is thinner & stays put!...I just don't know the brand name off hand...Mikie Self??? You know the answer...chime in! :-)

Good luck,

John

They have the real thin Mylar that will wrap around and stick.

He has sold it to many 02 folks so even knows how much to sell you

Here's a recent thread with good tips. My mylar project was a failure too!

www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,278940

using it yet (the engine and tranny came first!). You might try using contact cement (solvent based) to stick down your tape. Coat both surfaces, let it get tacky and then squeeze it down.

Winter project (after I do Ludwig's and Wolfgang's front suspension bushings) is to experiment with both Mylar tape and some shiny silver sheet that's used by model airplane builders to make their models look like aluminum instead of plastic.

Anyone have a web site or phone number for the place in Seattle mentioned in this post? I can try them too...

mike