• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The road to Phoenix (Updated 5.15.09 - Massive Brake work)

H_Krix

** 12.11.06 Update is at the bottom of page 1 **

ANy possibility of you making some wiring looms for the rest of us?

Thanks!

J.E.

Sorry JE, I just noticed this.

I dont know about making Wiring Looms myself... I probably could, but I'd be more inclined to do so once I have the car back together. The one I'm using in my car probably took me about 15 hours total to get it where I wanted it. The red ends on all of the wires have numbers written on them that correspond to the wiring diagram I'm using, so thats what took the most effort. I'm sure I could do them, but I have no idea what I'd charge...

Also, I'm going to be printing my large wiring diagrams soon for fellow FAQ-ers. The one I made was around 7' wide and 3' tall, and really helped me out when I needed a reference. There's a shot of it above next to my wiring diagram, and here's a preview:

US-Spec-74-76-non-tii.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Small update... I've been spending most of my time sandblasting, wire-wheeling, plating and painting parts... I have a nice, big pile of new shiny stuff, but very little of it actually bolted together...

Also, I thought I had taken more pictures than this before (and these are the good ones... ugh) but i had a thoroughly terrible day in the shop over the weekend, and didnt feel much like taking any more pictures.

Some highlights: I sprayed some primer in the trunk but forgot to move my sockets and wrenches, so they have a nice grey-green coating of etching primer on them... I dropped a metal broom handle into the side of the car which left a scratch I can only hope to buff out (I left the shop after that gem)... I got black overspray on the nose of the car when touching up a piece on the nose... and I spilled a cup of water INTO the cardboard box that has my carpet kit in it...

Anyhow, here's the pictures I did manage to take:

I stripped the Valve cover for a coat of Crinkle-finish paint. The paint that was on there came off easily enough, but I had to strip it a second time after I thoroughly botched the first coat ("Thick Paint," as the can instructs, does NOT mean running down the side of your valve cover) The second coat went much better, and i'll be posting shots of it on the engine as soon as its done.

ValveCover_Stripped.jpg

With the help of a fellow '02-er, I finally got the steering box apart. I wire-wheeled the outside down, then let the whole thing sit in some mineral spirits to clean out the sludge inside. After that, it got a coat of dull aluminum, and new seals. I'm still waiting for the input shaft seal and the output shaft locking washer, so it won't be going back together until I get those parts in.

SteeringboxSeals.jpg

My rank pedalbox is rank no more! All parts have been replated, and the difference in the new bushings is amazing... I can't wait to see how it feels once I get it in the car...

PedalBox_finished01.jpg

PedalBox_finished02.jpg

Front subframe was stripped and dipped, and new bushings / replated parts started going in also. I still have a few pieces of hardware to replate/replace so this project is ALSO in limbo, awaiting some more pieces before being finally put together.

IdlerArm.jpg

ControlArm.jpg

Random plated and painted bits going back on the engine. I do NOT recommend opening up the Carb side of the intake manifold with a Dremel tool... It works, but you'll be there doing it for about a week.

Engine_Partial.jpg

Finally, the rust holes on the passenger side floorboard have been welded in. These got a coat of primer and paint that I forgot to take a picture of before I left for the day. The entire rest of the interior is Dyna-matted, so once I get this section done I can run wires and put the carpet in!

FloorRepair.jpg

I actually have gotten a good bit more finished than this, but don't have any pictures of it... So hopefully i'll remember to do that the next time i'm out there.

I had meant to jack the rear end up to remove the rear subframe, but with the front on jackstands, everything just felt waaaaay too unstable. Right now, I think I'm going to rebuild the front subframe, and rebuild a spare rear that I've scavenged off of another car. Once the new front goes on, I'll jack out the rear and swap the old with the rebuilt. For clarification, I can remove the CV's, diff, and swaybar without having to emove the rear subframe, correct? I'm thinking the more I take off of it, the easier it will be to remove when I need to get to it.

SIG4.jpg

How long are you thinking before it hits the road?

I'm hoping for August maybe? I had plans on making the 2007 Amelia Island Concourse D'Elegance (NOT to compete, mind you) since my Family lives in Amelia and I try to attend every year I can. But thats in March, and I just don't see that happening...

August seems more realistic, given my budget and the limited time I get to work on the car. This way, I can hit up O-Fest too. Also, my birthday is in August, and I think getting Phoenix all wrapped up would be a pretty good way to celebrate.

SIG4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, I got bumped to page 2 due to the lack of updates. I have been working on the car, as much as my recent work schedule allows (which, to be honest, isn't terribly much) But I have tried to document it as best as possible. The past two months have seen:

- final repairs to any and all floorboard rust holes in the cabin (theres still a small one to be addressed near the gas tank area)

- 95% of soundproofing finished in cabin area

- refinishing of wheel wells

- sandblasting & replating of nearly every single washer, nut and bolt that I could possibly take off the car (these will be picked up this week)

- Refinishing of underside of car

- a rather successful trip to the junkyard...

Can anyone give me a good reason to put these back on? Most restorations I see don't have them, and I've heard rumours that these are asbestos-filled. I'm planning on leaving them out, unless they're a necessary heat shield. Thoughts?

AlumPanels.jpg

More of the subcomponents are coming together. Its going to be fun when I can FINALLY bolt all this stuff back in

BrakeBooster.jpg

The problem with Krinkle paint is that, once you get the hang of it, you start looking for all other kinds of things that "need" to be textured.

VCover01.jpg

My driving lights are actually situated behind the grilles, but I thought this looked cool, and the plastic was faded and oversprayed anyways.

DriveLights.jpg

Maybe i'll go with the Red one. I have a W&N Strut Brace, and with all the red suspension components, it may look good together. I just dont want it to look too "rice"

VCover_03.jpg

Cue Red Suspension components. My anti-sway bars were actually a metallic gold when I got to them. That, and the rust, needed to go. Please ignore the pink bike and the dirty matress. Neither of those are mine...

RearSwaybar.jpg

FrontSwayBar.jpg

Soundproofing about 95% done. Just some small spots and bubbles to check for. Sorry for the crappy pic, the flash is dead on my digital camera.

Soundproofing.jpg

Wheel Wells were wire-wheeled down on all loose and rusty spots, shot with zinc primer, and treated to a coating of Herculiner. If this doesnt guard against rock chips and rusting, nothing will.

WheelWells.jpg

I scored a 5-speed transmission off a 320i (I'm 99% sure this is the right one, can a Getrag Guru look at these pics and tell me I'm correct on that??) with 150k on the clock. Spins very nicely, no grinding, and no chips or metal shavings in the fluid, so I'm pretty confident in my $42 transmission.

Transmission_01.jpg

Transmission_02.jpg

Transmission_03_ID.jpg

I also got a rebuilt starter that was sitting on a 320is with a giant hole in cylinder #3. Haven't tested it yet, but its the smaller M3 variant, and it cost me $12.

Starter.jpg

Lastly, I yanked the EFI manifold from the very same 320, for a Megasquirt project I may or may not do in the near future. My plans right now are to get the car running with EDIS and a 38/38, then upgrade to Megasquirt after I'm familiar with everything and have all the kinks worked out.

EFI-Manifold.jpg

Did I mention I'm running out of places to put all this crap?!

PackedGarage.jpg

SIG4.jpg

The car is looking really good. Its odd how similar our lives seem. We both live in Atlanta, we are both graphic designers, it sounds like we about the same age from your story, and I still have my classic thunderbird from when I was 16. Sadly the work I have been doing to my thunderbird lately has been to get it ready to sell. I will miss that car when it is gone. Luckily I am looking to replace it with a 2002. If I can ever find a decent one in Georgia.

Oh yeah. I have also done work for your company before. Such a small world.

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

The car is looking really good. Its odd how similar our lives seem. We both live in Atlanta, we are both graphic designers, it sounds like we about the same age from your story, and I still have my classic thunderbird from when I was 16. Sadly the work I have been doing to my thunderbird lately has been to get it ready to sell. I will miss that car when it is gone. Luckily I am looking to replace it with a 2002. If I can ever find a decent one in Georgia.

Oh yeah. I have also done work for your company before. Such a small world.

No kidding? I never mentioned my company, so its probably my last name thats giving it away (not many "Krix's" running about) Funny thing, there's a little shady body shop on the street where I work, and a verona 1970 popped up there randomly last week. I was wondering if its anyone on here.

Shoot me an email if you're looking for a good car. I may know of a few guys who could track one down for you. If a car goes for sale in Georgia, these two know about it!

hkrix at teamgo dot com

SIG4.jpg

Got pieces back from the platers yesterday. This stuff looks awesome, and now i can finally get the subframs back together, which means the engine and transmission can go back in soon! There's light at the end of the tunnel!

Seat rails had to go twice since they were yellow on the first batch. O-rings came out fine through the process, and they move VERY smoothly now. Just a little grease and we're good to go!

Seat-rail2.jpg

Who knew there was a logo on these? I learn something new everyday...

Seat-Rail.jpg

Random Gold. Things should start moving now! There were about 400 pieces in this batch, frigging box weighed like 40 pounds.

Plated_04.jpg

Plated_02.jpg

Plated_05.jpg

These look like less than is actually in the bag, for some reason. There's probably 150 or so bolts in there. the bag sits about 8" or so tall.

Plated_03.jpg

Things should start picking up speed now....

SIG4.jpg

Looks like you struck GOLD! Haha...

Things moved pretty quickly for me in the past month - headlining, dash, insulation, stereo, engine, heaterbox refurb so with solid work I think you'll have her on the road soon! Do you have an ETA in mind yet?

Cant wait!

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 3 weeks later...

More progress has been made (a lot!) but I haven't really had the time to document it. Front subframe is back together, all soundproofing is done, started putting in the sunroof and seals, and started making the aux harness for random other components that I dont want tied into the main wiring harness.

More pics to come later, but for now:

Steeringbox_new.jpg

Subframe_new.jpg

SIG4.jpg

Now thats some eye candy! Seems a shame you have to put it back under the car!

No kidding man! My friends keep giving me a bunch of crap, saying I'm going to shit a brick the first time I drive the car through a mud puddle.

Funny thing, the garage its in now doesn't have a paved driveway. Her first drive is going to be in the dirt.

Steeringbox_new2.jpg

SIG4.jpg