m20ohtwo

M20 six-banger saga

49 posts / 63373 viewsLast Reply

Now that I've gotten to a significant point in ths project I thought I'd share for the first time and maybe get feedback.

bmw_03.jpg

Some of you may remember this- I posted it over a year ago. My first attempt at drifting and the nearly stock '02 did well. It did take me the better part of a day to get it down though. At the time all I had was cut springs, some old bilstein shocks and a junkyard 3.91 LSD.

The engine blew a few weeks later so it had to come out.

2002enginepull027.jpg

My son enjoyed that part.

And a new one was dropped in - at least for a test fit.

IMG_4227.jpg

I found a 2.7 eta engine on craigslist for $150, an "I" head at the junkyard for $100 and the proper "super eta" pistons to fit it all together for $175 on an E30 forum. A local machine shop did some honing and all new rings, bearings and rod bolts were used. I lightened the flywheel substantially to 17 lbs.

IMG_4474.jpg

The lower cover that holds the front crankshaft seal had its belt cover portion milled off.

IMG_4239.jpg

Here's another picture of an earlier test fit. I've made my own motor mounts and gotten it mounted and lined up well. I took measurements for the drive shaft shortening before I took the whole mess out to rebuild the engine. I'm using the 323i transmission to make things a bit simpler. I may put the 325i tranny in if it breaks. Hammering on the tranny tunnel was a breeze. Making the transmission mount from scratch was a little more difficult.

I will post more update photos later of the mounts and how it fits. Until then, here are some photos of the car when I bought it and then what it looked like after I got my hands on it.

Image-81D39260E7CB11D8.jpg

Image-81D39CDCE7CB11D8.jpg

mmmm my perfect dash.

IMG_3463.jpg

At the Golden Gate fields drift event in early 2005.

DSC02816.jpg

This area was previously rusted through like swiss cheese (just below the window between the door handle and the mirror.) I welded it all up, sprayed it with $15.00 worth of touch up paint and now you can't even tell.

IMG_4219.jpg

Someone resprayed the car without removing the trim while living near the ocean. A recipe for surface rust. The rest of the paint is nice and the body is real straight. There is no structural rust. The rust issues are also being addressed during the engine swap.

Here it is in front of my other pride and joy, my autocross winning 1975 VW rabbit. It runs Megasquirt EFI, which I also plan to run on my bimmer.

DSC02813.jpg

I also have two sets of suzuki gsxr throttle bodies and a hacked off 325i intake manifold. It would end up pretty much like this:

e302.jpg

Either that or a nice turbo - or both! We'll see what happens!

Daniel... bad as F***!! I love the first shot!

Great to see your son out giving you a hand at such an early age... that is when I got hooked!

I love your Golf too... I noticed you did a bit of wheel swapping.

I bet it will go awesome with the ITB set up of the GSXR!

Good luck, keep us informed.

Todd

Wow that lloks awesome!

How do you plan to ook up up the suzuki gsxr throttle bodies???

Do you have any more info on that?

Thanks

Effing awesome. I cant wait to see where it goes from here. That first shot is something else. I actually said "holy damn" out loud.

How do those Golf wheels fit on the 02? I'd imagine you have to run some spacers...

The rabbit gti wheels fit well. They are offset inward more so I had to make 1/8 spacersI think- maybe it was 3/16 inch. Cant remember. They come very close to rubbing on the front strut. The wheels came from the '83 VW gti I drove everyday before I got my '02. It was a very nice example but was totalled in a rear end collision, which indirectly started my love affair with this car. In a pinch to find a new daily driver I found this thing for $800.

Nice ride and blowing up your motor is always a good way to justify to the wifey on getting a good new motor.

DSC00103.jpg

A load leveler is a must for the M20.

DSC00125.jpg

Here's the engine mounted rock solid and centered with homemade mounts.

DSC00124.jpg

The driver side mount. The mounts are only 1/8 inch thick, but with the additional bracket welded on top of this one its plenty strong.

DSC00106.jpg

The passenger side mount. I just followed the instructions fron the write up "six into two does go" and crossed my fingers. It worked well with some slotting of the two holes on the subframe for the rubber mount.

DSC04009.jpg

I just thought this picture was funny because the four cylinger looks so massive.

DSC00269.jpg

I repainted this inner fenderwell over the weekend with a can of color matched spray paint.

I also cut off the two upper frame rails that square headlight cars have to make room for my radiator and possibly an intercooler. I'll post pics later.

Great job! I was hoping we didn't need to use math ;)

That's a real nice Nova you have in the background - another project?

Hey, another San Jose resident. Yeah that Nova was my first hot rod project. I built a nice 383 stroker engine, converted to a 4 speed and rebuilt the rear with an LSD. At this point my father owns it. Someday I will buy it back. It would make a real nice drift car.

Sweet! I figured you were Bay Area from one of your pictures (parking lot with trailer) it looked like SF? Where are you in San Jose?

My brother was a huge Nova fan, he had a few that he built and sold through the years. The one you have reminded me of one of his. I on the other hand was more the Euro car (VW's) guy, but I always loved his Nova's ;)

Guest Anonymous

So the project has been coming along slow and steady now for a while. My diveway was a sandbox for a few days as a sandblasted rust off the body and engine compartment. I used a can of color matched spray paint to touch things up temporarily until I'm in a position someday to strip the whole car for a repaint. The rest of the little spots of rust I used a rust converter on called MarHyde, which turned the spots a nice translucent purple. Not perfect, but looks a hell of a lot better than rust.

The engine is about to go in now. All thats stopping me is that I need a starter to bolt on this beast.

Since my last post I've:

Cut off the extra bumper frame rail in the front and welded in patches, painted the engine compartment, lots of places around the car and under the hood, filled in the front side markeers, shortened the original 2002 shifter to fit the longer 323 trans, resurfaced and lightened my 325e flywheel, bought a reground 323 cam and started lapping the valves and replacing the valve seals. Soon the head will be on and this engine will be in the car before I know it. Once it is, this project will move alot faster I'm hoping.

I still need to shorten my driveshaft, buy a radioator and fan, build an exhaust, get a second front exhaust manifold, buy and build a megasquirt ecu, buy and install a high pressure fuel pump, and finish my ITB manifold.

Wish me luck.

-Daniel

Guest Anonymous

So the project has been coming along slow and steady now for a while. My diveway was a sandbox for a few days as a sandblasted rust off the body and engine compartment. I used a can of color matched spray paint to touch things up temporarily until I'm in a position someday to strip the whole car for a repaint. The rest of the little spots of rust I used a rust converter on called MarHyde, which turned the spots a nice translucent purple. Not perfect, but looks a hell of a lot better than rust.

The engine is about to go in now. All thats stopping me is that I need a starter to bolt on this beast.

Since my last post I've:

Cut off the extra bumper frame rail in the front and welded in patches, painted the engine compartment, lots of places around the car and under the hood, filled in the front side markeers, shortened the original 2002 shifter to fit the longer 323 trans, resurfaced and lightened my 325e flywheel, bought a reground 323 cam and started lapping the valves and replacing the valve seals. Soon the head will be on and this engine will be in the car before I know it. Once it is, this project will move alot faster I'm hoping.

I still need to shorten my driveshaft, buy a radioator and fan, build an exhaust, get a second front exhaust manifold, buy and build a megasquirt ecu, buy and install a high pressure fuel pump, and finish my ITB manifold.

Wish me luck.

-Daniel