• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumping this old car and getting a used Honda - Yes or No?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Although I don't spend that much money, I seem to spend a lot of time working on my car. It's been my daily driver for over 8 years and I think I must have done everything short of major engine work on it.

For example, this is my list of tasks completed since March (total cost ~ $1500):

Replaced distributor

Replaced center resonator & muffler

Replaced gas tank with rebuilt gas tank, repaired/repainted rust damage

Replaced clutch master & slave cylinders

Added High Intensity LED turn signal & relays in rear

Replaced headlights (Hella H4)

Sanded and painted rear of car

Replaced tie-rods

Replaced alternator

Replace windsheild wiper

Repaired damage to grill and repainted front

Replaced transmission/exhaust bracket

Replaced flasher relay

Repaired Wheel Arch damage

Replaced alternator bracket & bushings

Replaced tag light lenses and remounted correctly

Replaced ignition wires

Changed Oil & Filter

Bled brakes and clutch

Replaced Valve cover gasket

Replaced exhaust hangers & Clamps

Topped up transmission

Topped up and Adjusted Steering Box

Re-sealed gas cap flange

Replaced fan belt

Replaced Air Filters

Repaired wheel well rush through on left ft.

Remounted rear bumper correctly

Replaced spark plugs

Adjusted timing and idle

Adjusted clutch pushrod length

Adjusted bumper mounting

I often get advice that basically says "you should get rid of that car and buy a used Honda"

Considering I only have about $3000 to spend, can I really buy a used Honda for this and not spend very much money on it over the next few years? I wouldn't be doing mechanical work on this Honda in any way approaching what's listed above but instead taking it to a shop.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Most of the people who give me this advice either drive new cars or own Hondas I know they've spent a lot on to keep running.

I'm asking because I'm facing a decision on putting a bit more time and money into my car to get it to pass state inspection in August.

At what point, do you part your car out and buy a $3000 Honda for your daily driver?

Any thoughts on this?

Moecat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hondas aren't as reliable as everyone seems to think.

I was recently forced to drive a Civic quite a bit (92 or 93 4-door with 115K miles, and poorly maintained). That car was downright unsafe, so much that I risked getting fired by refusing to drive it because the inner tie rods were completely shot. I had it towed in twice. First time because a hose busted and the temp shot thru the roof, and it started knockin.

The alternator was slowly dying.

Second time I had it towed in, the auto tranny crapped out. I haven't heard its status, but I'm happy to be rid of that wretched car.

Also, Hondas have interference engines, with timing belts that often break. Then when the pistons hit the valves, you're screwed.

edit: forgot, A/C compressor fried in the Civic. There was also a big coolant leak that was never found.

If you really want a more reliable japanese car, think about a Toyota or Mazda. Traditionally, Toyotas are much more highly regarded than Hondas in Japan. And Toyotas are usually known to be much more reliable. However, my roommate's corolla just turned over 100K miles, and I had to change the timing belt and seals because a cam seal broke loose. It also has an interference engine. I changing the CV shafts because they were startin to go. The radiator exploded at the plastic top, so I changed all that stuff.

As for Mazdas, they're usually much more fun than the others, have non-interference engines, but other typical maintenance should be involved in a car thats close to $3K (cooling system, timing belt, etc.)

I say that if the 2002 is pretty well squared away now, keep it. Don't listen to the guys that pay out their rear for basic maintenance on their Honda. Have you checked into how much mechanics charge? They usually double the price of parts, and ask for $70 to $100 per hour labor. Keep the 2002. New japanese imports aren't that much more reliable.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

ide say get a 96 or newer civic, WAY more reliable, and practical. my friend has a 96 civic ex wich he got for 4k and has had it for a year and spent like 30 dollers just getting an oil change and 80 dollers on a broken cv boot. you save way more on gas and its quieter and more pleasant to drive. you shouldnt even be thinking about doing work on your car if you have a civic becuase, its not gonna break like an 02 will.

With any of those cars you've posted, you're still lookin at lots of hassle and money if they haven't been maintained properly. Timing belts could be waiting to break, or any number of parts. The same goes for any car, basically. Maintain it, and it'll last forever.

Also, there's a lot of reasons you shouldn't listen to squarepusher's advice. Do a search for his previous record..... but I was trying to not turn this into another thread to bash on him, we have enough already.

The other HUGE problem with Hondas is theft. If you park regularly in any big city, get used to your car being broken into and stolen regularly, or go thru the huge hassle of locking down every single part you can, but still it can get stolen.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I had a 91 hatchback and it was fun to drive, awesome on gas and I could fit dressers and other oddly huge things in the back. I spent a good chunk on maintenence in the first two years of ownership because it was abused by previous owners. After that it was dead reliable. Then I spent a good chunk of money making it faster and handle better.

The good, there's an enthusist market, there are a million parts available.

The bad, Honda owners don't always take care of their cars because of the implied "Honda reliability." And mine seemed to get broken into a lot. It was finally stolen and stripped so I called it quits on Hondas for a while.

1974 2002

Mit rost

2001 325i

Theft can have it benefits, heh. In 2004 a friend of mine got a CRX, then the starter died, then it got stolen (yes, they push started it, and/or towed it away to steal it).

Two years later, he gets a call from the cops to say they found it. Now he has it back, with a running Integra motor, GSR rims, a new paintjob, momo steering wheel, etc. Guess he had his ride pimped hawaiian style, hahah.

Bring a Welder

I believe Honda's qualify as the most stolen car in several states. I know it was true in Hawai'i. the parts trade on those cars is incredable.

Honda is a great car, but they are actually fairly difficult to work on- they are really the odd bird in the japanese line up - which makes the bill at the mechanics also rise.

get a golf or jetta - whenever my 02 is getting work done, i can always rely on the wifes 86 vw cabrio- the thing is guttless but gets me to the parts store everytime!

'70 project

Just my opinion but if you have think about it then get the honda. To me this is a fun weekend car. I recently bought a Scion for a daily, but before that i drove a $3000 toyota pickup that never let me down for 5 years and all I had to do was change the oil. Before that i had an '87 crx si that lasted to about 200k miles with only the clutch ball joints going out. It was still ahell of alot cheaper to fix than a bimmer.. I love these cars but not for everyday. If you can afford to keep it and buy a honda do that, then you'll have somehting to tinker with when you some extra cash...... Just my opinion.. Btw I have a 99 M coupe, 73 tii transplant, and the scion xb... I drive the shit outa the scion and I love it....

good luck with your decision

Miko

the bottom line is if you cant afford it, or it seems like a waste of money, it probably is... at least to you at this point.. go with the honda....

it also depends man- car to car- i bought my first 02 (a 1976- w/ sunroof) in 1994, payed 1000 dollars, changed the fluids, and drove it across the country from oregon to new york. kept it for 5 years, and the only problem it had in NY was the clutch slave, 50 bucks at the dealer and a lot of cursing under the car.

drove it back accross the country - loaded down with crap going 100 mph through colorado, and the exhaust rattled loose. ~6 bucks for some bolts and sealent at a local truck stop.

that car started every time, and never left me stranded- (except the blizzard of 96 in Worcester, MA - but i had to snow shoe out of that one- so its not a wonder)

so what, 5 years and 56 dollars spend beyond normal maintanence. its like anything man. ~~ after putting all that work into yours- it woudl be a shame- but maybe you just got a lemon-

'70 project

I guess your assuming that all the tasks you've done to the '02 you will not have to do to your $3000 honda.

Sell the '02 to an '02 affianado(sp?) and get the honda.

Oh, and let us know how you get on with the honda.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Is there any reason you need a trendy honda? some cars are simply cheaper because they have no street appeal. I got one of those.

I have two cars. My lovely bmw 2002 that gets the garage space and weekend attention. The other is a simple 15 yr old mistsubishi. The mistubishi is queiter, smoother, more fuel effecient, more reliable and more accepteable for passengers. But the mitsi's grand finale, THE THING THAT REALLY MAKES IT A GREAT CAR IS... its a peice a shit. I love the fact that I find it sooo boring i just don't care. It works perfectly! its respectable, its safe. Im happy to leave it in town for a night. Im happy to lend it to people. Im happy to not bother fixing a fault this weekend. Its in perfect condition, but because it doesn't appeal to me I get to use it like a car is meant to be used. "Dirty shoes welcome, hop in".. I bought it cheap enought that I only want 2 more years out of it - then it goes to scrap yard.

Let me just point out now that its a very very straight car. Just an ugly mistubishi. The mitsi was cheap because it has an old man look about it (but low mileage). It sits out in the wind and rain and gets used with no maintenance from me for anything other than road worthyness. Although in saying that nothing ever breaks!

But for those sunny days on the weekend I go Tearing up the waterfront roads in my 2002 with a big smile.

What im getting at is. Spend upto 3000 (hopefully less) on a mildly respectable honda to use and abuse. Theres no greater feeling than a car that has no appeal to you and no real value. This way I miss out on street appeal mon 9-5 (don't care, a new honda is just as lame as an old one imo (unless its an s2000)) and on weekends I get bmw2002 appeal. Cutests little bruiser on the street.

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

Guest Anonymous

This car would be parted out and junked. I think I'd only get offered about $500 for it and I think it may would bring at least that in parts. It's been heavily modified - dual 40 DCOE, big brake upgrades, new mechanical dizzy, Ricaro seats etc. Runs really strong.

IM000097.jpg

Since this image, I've put 1988 325is rims on it and a chrome bumper. Got rid of the air dam.

Paint on it now is totally shot.

I'd say keep the '02... From your list of repairs you've completed and the low cost of being able to do it yourself, it seems like it would be a mistake to get a car you can't do the work on. Labor cost is what will kill ya... My daily driver is a 2000 Audi allroad, a few weeks after we purchased it (from a private party) the front air suspension failed... $3k later I had it back on the road. I kicked myself because we sold a 2000 Discovery II that I was able to do most of the work on myself (other than things covered under the warranty). People say Land Rovers are unreliable, we had 2 and never had a problem. When we first go married my wife had a '92 Honda that ALWAYS had problems, was broken into twice and we were more than happy to sell it to the first person that made an offer. Any car will last as long as you take care of it the way you do your '02!

I'd take a pig cheek flared '02 over a $3k Honda.

Let's face it, Jap FWD cars are designed to sell in the USA, and German FWD cars are designed to go top speed on the Autobahn, so a Golf or Jetta would retain some of the joy of an '02 even if FWD. But I wouldn't want an FWD car of any type, especially a Jap one. I wonder why some of you ever got an '02 in the first place, especially when you think a Nipstang is some sort of replacement for an '02. Cars require repair and maintenance, and if you don't do your own work it costs a bundle for repairs that you don't know are done right. Even if you dump your '02 why would you not continue to repair your own car? It sounds like it's a little to much in the way of effort to do your own work or you wouldn't have said you'll stop doing it when you have an allegedly more reliable car, which should make you even more likely to do the work yourself. Get a Honda as it fits your lazy gen-z lifestyle and your parent's wallet is bottomless.