• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal w/ headlight adjustment?

zane

I don't understand how these headlights work. The vertical adjustment seems to work just fine. The horizontal has me puzzled. It doesn't matter what I do my lights get more and more walleyed. It doesn't help that the little plastic nuts are stripped through. One side has the adjustment knob and the other side a retaining spring. I actually had to pull the headlight out a bit and lodge a rock between the bulb and the bucket so that they pointed somewhat in the right direction. It just kind of bugs me that I've got more light on the car to my right than the lane in front of me. How do these things work?

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

the adjustment knob may have come loose from the screw. if you take the bucket out ,you can remove the screw since it is slotted for a screw driver. epoxy the knob back onto adjustment screw...problem solved. might try to loosen screw with liquid wrench first. don't get it on plastic or you will get screw/knob seperation. hope this helps

Senna27 is right, somewhere along the line the headlight buckets have been switched left to right and vicea versa, pull them out switch them and replace the stripped nuts and you can aim them just fine.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Is there an easy way to tell if the buckets have been switched. I don't know if this is the case. I adust one way it goes left, I adjust the same way and it goes right. Maybe I just need to pull the buckets and renew everything and see if all the proper tabs are straight.

Should the buckets be mirror images of each other? The buckets that I have both have their horizontal adjustment on the same side.