Sign in to follow this  
Harv

Steve K. I vote to not alow guests to post

49 posts / 9916 viewsLast Reply

The true holders of this community are those who honestly care about '02's. We prove it by spending our time, effort and many $$$'s.

The willingness to leave your name/tag/alias means you want to contribute and be responsible for your post.

The reasons of too lazy, wrong computer, no time, too much bother, I am being censored, your a bunch of up-tights are all examples of someone who is not willing to give this community the respect or mental effort = to those who do sign their posts. Simply pull all the "guest" posts and I am positive that the amount of negative contribution pattern will easily be apparent.

So put up the "speed bump" for civility and make the effort = the contribution. If you want to read, be our guest. If you have something meaningful to contribute then make the simple effort of logging in.

It definitely will help somewhat to keep people honest. Unfortunately, many still can hide behind some fictitious name. This can also let those who are being accused of something to know who their accuser is although again still not by their accuser's real name.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

(not hiding behind some fictitious name)

I agree, Ip address should be posted too, like in the good ol' days :D

Guest Anonymous
Here are a few suggestions to make everyones life a bit easier:

1. Use your real name (this is life -- not a pre-teen DnD game).

2. Give the model and year of your car (details vary, and we're not psychic).

3. List any mods or recent work that might be pertinent to a problem.

4. Be polite. You will not get help if you are rude.

5. Take things with a light heart.

6. Since we have a threaded view option please make sure to click the reply button next to the message you are actually replying.

Administration

Looks like rule #1 is already not being used.

Number 1 and number 4 apparently are not being observed too carefully.

Al was rude so he shouldnt get any help?

Food for thought, and don't be so quick to support someone just because they "say" they are part of the community and donate stuff.

Call the kettle black when its black for gods sake

I must have missed the real name part.

I use Pinepig on all the forums I post at, it's kind of a second name for me anyway.

I'll put my real name in my sig just to keep folks happy.

Noob.

Great site, I've spent DAYS reading old posts so I don't ask too many questions that have been asked a million times ( don't you hate that )

i second( or 34) this motion. I had two (2) nasty comments by guests to one of my posts. I say make it like other forums, you have to be registered to post!

... I post as guest when I am not on my computer. I don't carry my password around in my wallet, sorry.

and do you also find it difficult to type your name after your message, guest or not? Perhaps you forgot to write it down in your wallet..

I suppose the necessity to sign in would help, it's just a shame the 'self policing' part of this board (which is one of its greatest assets and something for the 02 community to be proud of) doesn't work in this case.

it would seem sensible to request that people log in to post - even this thread has been hijacked by a "guest" who "cant" remember his password...?! i would put some of the "angry" guest posting down to youthful exuberance but it can be bloody annoying when it interrupts a decent thread. it just seems ridiculous to me that this community is here to help each other and for us to learn from one another (and I cant begin to tell you how much I've learnt from people here over the years) and that we let a few people (and i'm sure it's significantly less than half a dozen) come here and shout their mouths off and generally create a bad feeling almost daily, and for what?! i agree that it would be a shame for us to miss out on positive posts from people who are maybe away from their regular computer and cant remember their login details but speaking for myself, these occasions are rare (aren't they?) and i think that missing out on these odd positive posts (as there are usually a few people who can help with an issue) would be far better than having to deal with angry wankers with nothing better to do every day. i think it speaks for itself the number of post this thread has received.

sorry this turned into a mini novel. i shall go back to work now...!

Guest Anonymous

I only post as a guest when I feel my question is too stupid and I should have known the answer....

Guest, formerly known as somebody...

I had heard about this "Roadfly" place where you could get info on '02's. It seemed odd to me that I had to register to get into a site so I didn't and haven't. I then found the faq and it has been easy and pretty cool. I think registration reduces the gene pool. You don't have to pay attention to a guest post. And besides, we always have Rob, whom we really know is a moderator!

All the guests are complaining about not logging in because they can remember their password. BooHoo. Sound like a lame excuse to me.

I would like to know what is so hard about remembering a password?

All the guests are complaining about not logging in because they can remember their password. BooHoo. Sound like a lame excuse to me.

I would like to know what is so hard about remembering a password?

Or let your cookies do it for you.

~Vroomer

Make it so you have to sign in to post. It would prevent people posting and forgetting to log in and then posting saying it was them. ....

John

I'm in the minority here, but I don't want to see the board require login to post.

What you could do instead, which would help fix the specific problem I captured in your quote above, is to force the "username" field to be filled for each submission. I know that I've been guilty of submitting a reply after the board has logged me out (this seems to happen a lot when using the "back" button in my cookies-off browser.)

Just make the "username" field mandatory for guests not logged in (of course it's not there at all when you are logged in.) Then you probably wont see that damn "GUEST" tag all the time.

That, and show the IP address!

Janne Ahonen

Motor City, USA

thats not a bad idea at all. I like it.

That way you'd know if you weren't logged in (and thought you were) or at least you'd have to pick a username even if only for that one post. That would cut down on the guest posts for sure. I mean who is going to type 'Guest' .. a few people maybe, but most will pick some kind of handle

Thumbs up!

thats not a bad idea at all. I like it.

That way you'd know if you weren't logged in (and thought you were) or at least you'd have to pick a username even if only for that one post. That would cut down on the guest posts for sure. I mean who is going to type 'Guest' .. a few people maybe, but most will pick some kind of handle

Thumbs up!

but that won't stop the anonymous ahole that want's to say something without being id'd....he/she can just keep using different names

well I put in the thing that makes you at least write some kind of name in the box.

That will keep logged out folks from posting as Guest by mistake anyway.

hopefully