• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve K. I vote to not alow guests to post

Make it so you have to sign in to post. It would prevent people posting and forgetting to log in and then posting saying it was them. Also I think it might bring the level of civility back to the place we call home.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I SECOND THAT MOTION!!!!

People seem to be a little nicer to each other when there is not the "guest" in the name plate. Plus the people that are signed on as "guest" typically have only negative comments and incorrect fedback.

Make everyone accountable for their postings, wordage, and ideas.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

I agree too, even if I've forgotten to sign in once or twice. There seems to be an awful lot of sniping from anonymous jerks lately.

JJ

'76 Sahara

Ireland/TEP/Bilstein suspension mods

Currently for sale

-------------------

in the end she will surely know... i wasn't born to follow

Guest Anonymous
Make it so you have to sign in to post. It would prevent people posting and forgetting to log in and then posting saying it was them. Also I think it might bring the level of civility back to the place we call home.

John

Whether or not you believe what they say is up to you, but somtimes someone does not want to give up their anonymity to disclose certain things they may have to say that may be very valid to a certain discussion.

Why not just plug your ears and say "lalalala" then you wont have to know anything else. Knowledge is critical even if its from someone who may not want to say what their real name is.

Face it, no one here is some whacko who isnt involved in the 02 world (or very rarely the case) so every point should be taken into consideration should it not?

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

If you ask what the best way to prep bare sheetmetal, or install big brakes, or a certain ignition (constant debate), or what the driveline vibration you feel is caused by, or will you immediately discredit the post by an anonymous user?

nuff said ---- censorship for too much whining (not going to point out my opinion of who is the whiner, you decide) is out of line and brings us back to toadfly days.

Think about it

Guest Anonymous

It definitely will help somewhat to keep people honest. Unfortunately, many still can hide behind some fictitious name. This can also let those who are being accused of something to know who their accuser is although again still not by their accuser's real name.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

(not hiding behind some fictitious name)

Me too, but...

It should come as no surprise that this could be double-edged sword - there are probably some very knowledgeable people who could really contribute to the discourse here but won't if they have to disclose their real names. Imagine if, say, Jay Leno or that Jamiroquai guy showed up here wanting just to talk '02s. ;-)

That said, I think requiring simple registration to post is a good thing. Obviously, people can always sign up with a new user ID if banned (and banning should be used very sparingly and certainly not for just stating unpopular opinions), but at least it will help sort out who is saying what over time. For example, I'd like to be able to put some of the great anon tech posts together so I can asses their credibility regarding the things I don't have experience with by comparing to posts made about stuff I do know about. It will also make it easier to know whose posts to ignore.

Also, having to jump through that simple hoop is probably enough to discourage a lot of the hit-and-run anon posters - too much work. Add a 30 minute time delay to the process and you would probably wipe them out entirely.

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

Me too, but...

there are probably some very knowledgeable people who could really contribute to the discourse here but won't if they have to disclose their real names. Imagine if, say, Jay Leno or that Jamiroquai guy showed up here wanting just to talk '02s. ;-)

consider this...is k-swiss's name that?...is al canuck's name that? or try 02fanatic....no one's ever suggested not using an alias

Also, having to jump through that simple hoop is probably enough to discourage a lot of the hit-and-run anon posters - too much work. Add a 30 minute time delay to the process and you would probably wipe them out entirely.

a grand idea...most trolls don't have the patience to wait before striking...having said that, some that have been anonymous have been very helpful...but i vote to have everyone reg before being allowed to post....

regards,

Zenon