• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY '74 Tii #2780100 (Lots of pictures) update: 8/25/08

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Headliner is now in. A big thanks to Jim Barnes for sewing and installing this for me.

It is a dark grey perforated Suede with a black backing on one side.

Pictures after Jim finished sewing it

02hdlnr02.jpg

02hdlnr01.jpg

02hdlnr04.jpg

Installed into the car along with new vinyl A and B pillars.

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Perfect way to end the year on this note....

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

Headliner is now in. A big thanks to Jim Barnes for sewing and installing this for me.

It is a dark grey perforated Suede with a black backing on one side.

Pictures after Jim finished sewing it

02hdlnr02.jpg

02hdlnr01.jpg

02hdlnr04.jpg

Installed into the car along with new vinyl A and B pillars.

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Perfect way to end the year on this note....

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

• 7 months later...

I really should update more, but my camera was stolen a few months ago and i haven't been able to take any pictures. My brother came over and took a few for me. The EMS is now all wired except for a Cam position sensor since I need a new one to work with the computer.

The EMS I am using is NIRA i3+ Imported by a friend in Sweden.

100_4467.jpg

100_4470.jpg

The cage was installed, the cage is by Safety Devices in the UK. Pictures are only of the rear 4 point, but the front two legs have also been installed.

rollcage.jpg

rollcagemount.jpg

rollcagemount1.jpg

The Velocity stacks for the ITBs have also gotten silicone couplers to hold them in instead of the blue tape I was using before to hold them in.

itbfuelrail.jpg

itbs.jpg

The back piece at the top is a Vacuum manifold so that the combination MAP/IAT sensor can be used and balanced in all cylinders. The extra ports will be used for the brake booster and anything else that might need a vacuum connection. The sensor at the top is the MAP/IAT sensor. Below you can see a fuse box used for switch power under the hood.

bmw1.jpg

Below are just a few more pictures of the wiring, It all needs to go into plastic hoses to clean it up, but I will do that once I finalized the placement of a few more relays. You can see in the 1st picture the 4 coils I am using which are from a '94 VW Jetta/golf. They Jetta/golf only used 1 per 4 cylinder, but I am using 1 per cylinder. The cam position sensor can also be seen just in front of the coils. This is using a standard vacuum advance distributor and shortening it. I used one of the original prongs inside as a magnetic point for the the sensor. The second picture is just the back side of the ITB with the injectors wired up.

coil.jpg

injectors.jpg

The plan is to set the Dyno date for Early to Mid November. I'll try to post up pictures when I can, but without a digital camera it is a bit hard right now.

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

Lets just say the EMS is not the cheapest thing on the car...

I guess i forgot to post about the suspension from a while ago. The front are shortened Tii struts with VW rabbit bilstien struts. The rear is Ireland's rear coilover setup with hemi joint mounts on the bottom and stud mount ont he top. Brakes consist of Lee's Massive kit front and rear.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

Seats will consist of Sparco Pro 2000. The rest of the interior has not been settle upon as of yet, only the carpet was order from Only02.

IMG_1723.jpg[/img]

The transmission is an 5-spd OD box with a 2002Haus install kit with a rebuilt 3.91 LSD built to 40% lockup.

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

what did you do with the parking brake? I see one but not the other. I would expect the ECU to be the cheapest part. Why did you go with it over say Megasquirt? What do the guys in Norway know that we don't.......

Parking brake is still there, just the pictures are in the wrong order. Those are some older pictures there when I still had the camera.

As far as why not go with Megasquirt? There are a couple of reasons why. The EMS i am using has greater control of both the injectors and ignition mapping. There is more memory on this system and it also has a faster processor. When I bought the EMS about 2.5-3 years ago Megasquirt 2 had just come out and the when you added the assembled box, wire harness, and relay box up it was right around $1000. The US exchange rate was still good at that time so this box was not that much more. At that time the development of MSII was not as far as it is now. Granted MSII is a good system, but at the time MSII had just come out and since it was mostly DIY I did not think I could be up to assembling the box myself. I am not a great electronics assembly guy. This EMS system also let me store 3 maps and I can shift it on the fly with a switch. Since the motor was fully rebuilt and there was a lot of custom stuff I thought I could justify spending the extra at the time. As it is the most important part of the motor now.

The camera I used for most of the pictures is an older Canon Powershot SD450. The recent pictures of the cage and the ITBs with silicone couplers were shot with a Nikon D70. I will be replacing the camera with another Canon Powershot when the time comes to get a new one.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Hopefully it will be at some show come next Spring and Summer.

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

• 1 year later...

Inspiring , well documented work. The car body is amazing and those pistons are insane! I must attempt something even remotely similar before death... Do you know of a production injection system that would fit the 02 block? I'm a budget restricted, tenacious shade tree monkey welding mechanic who knows just enough to be dangerous with a sawzall and a wrench, with a '72.

Thanks, and keep the pictures rolling out like monkeys from a gun, or something like that!

• 3 months later...