• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY '74 Tii #2780100 (Lots of pictures) update: 8/25/08

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I do not really have that many new pictures of the exterior of the car, but here are a few.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

The trunk was stripped of the old coating and resparyed with Wurth SKS stone guard (Body Schutz) and pained to give it the factory apperance.

I know this is backwards, but here are pictures from the body shop.

The front end had either been hit before or flexed inwards over the years so it needed to be pushed back out

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0344.jpg

We welded extra supports to the core in order to give it a bit more strenth and hopefully prevent this from happening again

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0349.jpg

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0348.jpg

Plugs were gut for the drain holes and welded into place

2006_0623GolfDayXmas0370.jpg

The snorkel was aldo Filled in and also the holes ffor teh big front bumpers

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0342.jpg

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0607.jpg

Next the flare installation was started. 1st we made it so that the rear fenders would be much smoother so it would be easier to work with and mount the flares. The lips were moved upwards to give more clearance inside the flares. They made a strip to bridge the gap between the body and the flare.

Golf_Yellow_TII_1.jpg

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0336.jpg

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0335.jpg

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0332.jpg

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0331.jpg

The flares were then mounted using 3M panel bonding adhesive.

2006_0619GolfDayXmas0306.jpg

2006_0623GolfDayXmas0377.jpg

On the front of the flares the headlight bucket area did not fit well at all so we cut the original fendre headlight bucket area out and glassed them tto the panels. In order to get a good looking ltop edge we also cut the top off the original fender and bonded teh fender flare to the top of that.

_9.jpg

More pictures fron the body shop to come later as the body guy needs to send me more pictures that he took.

What has happened in the last few days is the motor was installed which was quite a task using only 1 floor jack and the jack from my truck.

The bottom end was assembled by me a while ago, but I never got around to putting up pictures.

Here are all the parts being layed out for installation

IMG_1479.jpg

Pistion are 11:1 Ross pistion from Ireland engineering. Rods are Pauter and you can see the knifed edge cranksahft.

IMG_1480.jpg

The pistion and rods were sent to Calico Coating. The pistions were coated in their CT2 coating and the skirts in their Ct-3 coating. The rods were coated in their CT5 coating to help shed oil.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

Rod bearing and main bearing were also coated in Calico's CT1 coating

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

The engine was cleaned magfluxed and then bored and hone for the new pistons. Next was the painting of the block using Por-15 engine enamel.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

The ring need to be filed to make sure the ring gap would be correct for each cylinder

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

Next the ARP main studs were installed then the crankshaft

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

Next was the install of the rods and pistions.

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

More to come this afternoon...

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

By now you are able to tell that this is not going to be a stock mechanical injected Tii motor. The motor is to be converted to ITB's with EFI injection. The stock injection pump looked to be in bad shape when I purchased the car and parts were missing for the injection.

Head assembly began with a different casting since the reason this car sat was the headgasket was blown the head was cracked and repaired incorrectly and milled too thin to be used. I started with the newest casting I was able to find from 87. Head was stripped hot tanked. THis was a full thickness head that had never been milled. The intake and exhaust were gasket matched and larger 47/39 Shrick Valves were installed. New valve seats needed to be installed along with new style valve seats.

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

The chambers where Hemi'ed out and check to see that the CC was the same across the 4 cylinders

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

New rocker shafts, dual valve springs, Ti retainers, and Skidmark billet rocker shafts where installed

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Motor was now transfered to a motor stand to be assembled. 228MM JB racing alu. flywheel was installed along with a 87 325 clutch and flywheel were installed. The oil pump was a new style Febi pump with a single bolt. I put a tack weld on the nut and the gear just enough that if the splies ever stripped it would still turn since it is connected to the nut, forgot to get a picture of that. The pully is Ireland's race pulley fitted with a 60-2 crank trigger wheel sourced from Electromotive. The gilmer drive wheel on the water pump was an attempt to adapt a moroso V8 water pump drive to use on this motor. No such luck since the bolt head will contact the radiator so it will be removed.

motorcs5.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

The motor was then set on the front subframe and transmission attached.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Then the motor was jacked up from below and was home for the 1st time in about 15 years.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

The head was then bolted down using ARP headstuds and the ITB bolted onto the head.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

It is a Street/Track car. Will have a 6-point bolt in cage and fuel cell. Here are a few thing from today, spent some time plumbing the fuel system, I quit after stripping an AN fitting and broke down and bout some AN wrenches.... The big tank behind the rear brace is a surge tank. The pump is plumbed directly into the tank and the filter onto the pump. It is all mounted ontop of Mercedes Benz rubber air filter housing bushing to take the vibration of the pump. The air horns are only taped on for test fitting.

IMG_1635-1.jpg

IMG_1638-1.jpg

IMG_1640-1.jpg

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

The throttle bodies are from a 2003 GSX-R 750. I took a 318 manifold and cut of the mounting flange. Then welded pipes that were a large enough ID so that the throttle bodies would slide in along with the O ring seal much like the original setup on the GSX-R. There are two bolts per throttle body on the bottom side so it doesn't slip out. I made custom spacers to space the throttle bodies to the same as the M10 head. 100mm center to center I believe. I can get more pictures of it tomorrow. The fuel rail was sourced by a buddy of mine in Sweden and was made for an M10 motor. Spacers were made off the throttle bodies where the original injection rail went to space the injectors to the correct bosch injector size. The injector holes were also drill to be the correct size for bosch style injector on the throttle bodies.

IMG_1580.jpg

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

some of those welds looking kinda rough.... when i made my racing valve cover I had to weld a section of alum. pipe to the valve cover and it was tricky to weld to the cast alum.... On my second valve cover I cleaned it better and it came out much better. The cast is very porous and can mess with the arc while your welding it.

Did you check to see if the welds were water tight? You'll have alot of fuel mist going past that and it suck to have a tiny leak. Also make sure the part is nice and flat so it will seal well against the head gaskets. Welding alum. takes alot of heat and it tends to warp things. Ask me how I know!

It's probably fine. Who did the welding?

Next time call me up and come over I'd be fun to help you out. Kinda late now! but my car/garage is at my mom's house in burbank. I'm far from a pro but I'm trying to get better!

DSCN1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

The reason the welds are pretty rough is because they needed to fill a lot of material in since the pipe were bigger then orignal manifold. We ran then whole manifold over a large belt sander to make sure it was perfectly flat. It is kinda hard to see from a top view how much bigger the pipe is t hen the original manifold. It was so large in fact that I fiberglasses in another smaller pipe to make sure the transition between the throttle plates and the manifold was much better. All welding was done by a buddy of mine who I trust and we did check it for leaks and did not have any. I should have clean it up more with a dremel, but was afraid to sand through the welds. I think he was having the same problem with the cast manifold, he said something about it kept jumping like you mention.

I might just take you up on that offer sometime.

~Henry Hsu

golf2002ql6.gif

• 1 month later...