• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS hoses & DOT approval

CAM

Hi guys,

I have to replace the old rubber brake hoses as the left wheel is heating terribly, so I would go for SS hoses.

Ireland Engineering have them, but they mention " NOT DOT APPROVED".

What is wrong with these hoses?Can't they be used for the road?

I will also overhaul the calipers. Where should I buy the kits?

Friendly greetings,

Michel - Belgium

2002 '74

318d '10

>>> BMW forever...!

rebuilt calipers...it's almost cheaper unless they're just unavailable in Europe as they are here in the States. If you do overhaul your own, do NOT separate the two halves...there are little O-ring seals between the halves that cannot be reused and do not come in the overhaul kits. I've also heard they are (1) hard to find and (2) it's difficult to keep the calipers from leaking at the joint once they've been split.

Make sure they really need overhauling...so long as there are no leaks and none of the pistons are frozen, they're most likely OK.

I'll let someone else explain the non-DOT markings on the brake lines.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

About the SS hoses. I have had non-DOT approved SS hoses on my 02 for over 10 years. There is nothing wrong with them, they just have not been tested and approved by Department of Transportation. If you are concerned with that, BMP has a set that is DOT approved, they are double the cost of the Ireland parts. It is up to you.

BTW, most if not all race cars use non-DOT approved brake hoses. They work very well!

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

i have non dot approved lines on my e30 track car. i bought a set of dot approved lines for my 02 only because they are works of art. stop tech makes nice stuff. not cheap but pretty

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I had a look at the Stop-Tech site and it didnt actually list any parts for a 2002 for my aged car... any idea on parts number, price, etc.

Cheers,

Todd

i actually got mine from dave varco. im not sure if this is fact or not but the stop tech lines are dot approved and one major difference i see in them as opposed to some bav auto non approved lines are the stop tech lines are clear plastic coated over the stainless braid. give dave an email and see if he can hook you up. i dont recall the exact price but i think it was nearly double what you can buy others for. he had just started carrying them when i purchased them

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

The non-approved DOT hoses will operate fine for street use. I have run mine for 10 or more years on my E30M3 with no problems.

As I understand it, The DOT tests include several twisting and shearing and vibration type tests to ensure the product is suitable for use upon the highway. I will guess that these tests are similar to TuV tests or probably soon to be ISO tests.

The reason why some of these stainless steel braided hoses fail to meet DOT approval is that they are unable to perform ONE of the tests. The braided hoses exceed all the standards in every other test, however, because of the way they were designed, the DOT cannot perform one of their tests. The DOT will not approve these hoses. As I recall, the DOT test subjected the hose/connector to an unreal situation for the braided lines, but very important for regular rubber lines.

Most of the newer hoses on the market are DOT approved. I believe they had to add some rubber around where the hose meets the connector. Functionally, I don't feel there is any difference in the two types. If your government requires in depth vehicle inspections, they may want to see that something is DOT or TuV approved. It is like that in California with all our smog laws and or CARB approval on some car parts.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm installing a set of clasic tubes s/s lines right now the fit is good and the lines are a work of art, Very pretty indeed, I admit s/s hard lines are a total over kill but what the hay you only live once.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

I'm installing a set of clasic tubes s/s lines right now the fit is good and the lines are a work of art, Very pretty indeed, I admit s/s hard lines are a total over kill but what the hay you only live once.

no dude, ive been waiting for months it seems. ive called twice and they said they were 4 weeks out and that was 4 weeks ago. im glad to hear they are nice though. how long did you have to wait for your set??

i was worried about quality so im glad youre happy

i thought they would look pretty under there

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Are they braided steel around a rubber core, or just steel? I ask because some braided metal water lines in our apartment here started leaking because the rubber core had dried and cracked, but you couldn't see the problem otherwise due to the sheathing. Are braided stainless brake lines different?

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Automotive "braided stainless steel" brake lines are actually teflon tubing with a braided stainless steel outer casing. Teflon tubing by itself will hold a tremendous amount of pressure and is impervious to most chemicals making it a great candidate for brake lines, but it is also very fragile as it can kink or be cut easily by road debris. Thus the need for the braided stainless steel casing. There is some argument for a outer plastic coating, which in my opinion makes good sense. That prevents dirt from working between the braids which causes chaffing on the inner teflon tubing. Theory is eventually that chafing can cause leaks.

DOT approval should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure it means the assembly must pass a series of tests, including the "whip resistance test" but it also mandates the types of fittings that can be used. All fittings must be permanently crimped or swaged. This alone excludes some of the best lines and fittings on the market which are commonly used in racing and aviation.

74 tii m20 stroker 2.8 turbo (2 more cylinders coming soon)

87 s52 powered 325"e"s

05 2500HD for Towing

99 M Coupe

01 525it