Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Need AC help - please!

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

Thanks to this list, I got new compressor and an adapter from Vintage Air, all new hoses made up in town, etc. Leak checked it all last night. and evacuated and charged the system tonight. (a friend is an AC tech, lives about 40 miles away)

Anyway, it took about 2 3/4 cans of 134a to charge; pressure was about 300, which he said was good. Cooled fairly well at idle, but on the way home, the compressor started squealing like Ned Beatty! (somewhat obscure reference, don't worry if you don't get it, it's late and I am frustrated!)

It seemed to still cool, but was shrieking loud enough that cars passing me on the interstate were looking at me like I was about to blow up. I turned it off, and retried it a few times all the same result. When I reached my off ramp, I tried it at the light, and it was quietly cooling again. Accelerating away from the light, it started squealing again.

Any ideas? I have spent way too much time and $$$ getting this car ready for O'Fest, and I am just about at wits end. As far as I can tell, all grounds are good (why didn't the new Sanden compressor remind me it needed a ground? DUH!) The high pressure safety on the receiver drier is doing what it should, according to my friend, and the compressor is getting 12v when the switch is on. All bushings and belts are dealership new. The compressor cycles on and off at idle, and does a credible job of cooling, but at road speed, look out!

David in Nashville

Guest Anonymous

my02small.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/

Could it just be that the belt is loose or out of alignment? It may only squeal under load and at higher rpms, just like any old fanbelt. With the AC off, no load on the belt it is quiet, same as at low rpm when the ac compressor is making less pressure differential.

regards,

Zenon

P.S. That was a ref to "Deliverance", right? ;-)

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

To my eye, it lines up straight and square, probably better than my alt. belt.

Yes, it was a "Deliverance" reference.

Guess I'll go climb under the car and have a look around. Sigh...

David

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

It was also suggested it was too loose ;-) I tightened it pretty darn tight this morning, and rechecked alignment, so I don't think that's it.

Whatever, it is moot now, as the company that made my hoses screwed up and put the wrong fittings on, so all my 134a is now blasting the atmosphere. Try, try again, I guess...

FWIW, Vintage Air suggest a 220-230 psi head presure using the Sanden, at an ambient temp of 85-90 degrees. Since we had a head pressure of 300, it would seem that it was overchrged, causing almost lockup of the compressor, hence the squeal. That would have been nice to know _yeterday_. They also say that the sight glass will never clear of bubbles using 134a...

David

Guest Anonymous

electric fan mounted on condenser turns on with compressor,fan will lower psi readings and temps,helps cars without fan shroud.