Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

best spot to read oil temp from?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Any thoughts on the best place to read oil temp from? I am putting in some Autometer gauges..and have the sender that will replace the oil pan drain plug..but due to the m20 engine being in the 02..its sits kinda low. Plus I'm not convinced that the bottom of the pan gives the most accurate reading anyway. I was pondering getting the side of the oil pan tapped..but where to tap it? Or even tap into the factory m20b25 oil filter/cooler housing/base?

thx

Matt

Guest Anonymous

josh_weinstein.jpg

I'm about to mount my oil temp sending unit in a tii motor. If I didn't have the oil pressure sending unit in the usual spot in the head, I would consider it tehre, but as it is, I will probably mount it on the remote oil filter houseing, on the side where the "hot" oil is coming in. If it was not a tii, I would mount it on the oil filter housing (not subject to air cooling there and coming out of block for failly accurate reading).

I agree that the oil pan is a poor place from which to read oil temp. After all, what place gets more air cooling (unless you have an oil cooler, in whcih case you would never read from there, anyways).

Guest Anonymous

dont know much about it, but that's my plan... drill and tap that blank spot on the stock filter housing thing... Either that or getting an e30M3 oil filter thing and putting in a cooler... will prolly go for a cooler no matter what, actually...

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

I put my VDO oil temp sender in the oil filter housing. My sensor is a 12mmx1.5 thread. In operation the VDO warms a bit more slowly than the dash mounted gauge, due I think to the mass of the filter housing/block. Once up to temp it is very steady. I like this installation because I do not have any wires below the sub-frame and the sensor wire can be ganged with the alt/starter harness. Careful on tapping that boss tho. Don't go to deep.

Guest Anonymous

Nothing wrong with the pan except you have to have it out obviously. I would think the pan is the best place as this would give you a better picture of engine oil temperature. The oil filter housing would be good too if you don't have a cooler attached.

If you measure the temperature after the cooler it will always read its coolest temp, the oil pan will be the true temperature of the oil in the engine. Now this is splitting hairs, the key is to see a temperature and the usual temperature then worry about high/low readings. Remember that its best to wait until the oil temperature is in the operating range before using the engine hard, this can take ~ twice as long as the water temp to achieve.

Guest Anonymous

josh_weinstein.jpg

The oil pan, with the big surface area and moving air flowing across it as the car motors along, cools the oil. SO, that is not the most accurate place to read from. My gauge reads a lower temp when the car pulls a way from the light. Someplace un affect by air flow is a better spot (just like not after it goes through an oil cooler). The head would be good, but the only real option is where the pressure sending mounts. Alas.