• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Polaris - TMK-001's 1973 squarie rebuild.

Guest Anonymous

So, I worked again today on the car...

I continued with the stone guard removal on the inner guards and lower sills. I dont want to put it back on the car, but the painter is saying it is wise to put it along the lower sill... so I probably will.

I removed the petrol tank to clean up around it, and found a small hole, I will get that repaired when I get the wheels back on it and we can roll it to the hoist, at the moment I cant get in to tidy it up as the back of the car is a few centimetres off the ground.

As I was going over the past few days, the other blokes have been working around me, tidying up some of the rust spots - nothing is bigger than a tire valve cover which I am really happy about! There is a bit of surface rust and I will get to that tomorrow with a wire brush then hit it with some rust inhibitor and primer.

I wasted heaps of time doing stupid stuff today and didnt really achieve exactly what I want to, so I plan on returning tomorrow to continue work... it isnt too far off heading to the paint booth!

Things are coming together slowly with the body, but I will be happy with the final result I am sure! The car will be painted Polaris with PPG. I have been told this is pretty good stuff. The bloke I am using to paint the car has won a number of awards and come very highly regarded, hopefully he gets my car spot on :-)

Fingers crossed for 30th of April for the British/German show in Melbourne, Victoria Australia... if not I'll be the 330 that day! :-D

Heading back down there tomorrow for more of the same... with the public holidays on Friday, Saturday and Monday, I probably wont be back until Thursday next week to have another play. I am hoping they will have put some paint on it by then! So tomorrow will be a busy one, heaps of stuff to do and organise, gota get an early night!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey where did you get your new hood from?

Got it off my local BMW dealership... I was a bit disappointed however as it was damaged in shipping and they used a complete muppet of a panel beater - that I have had issues with dodgy repairs in the past - to repair it, they did a half ass job at priming it after they repaired it - so I spent half of today blocking it back to almost bare metal to get the deep orange peel out of the shitty primer they used!

I also had a test fit of the guards today with all of the grilles in and it really exposed there was still a fair bit of work to be done to get the guards (wings) right... it gave me the right royal shits as I got a brand new nose section from BMW and it has required a fair bit of stuffing around to get it right as well...

Progress is being made, but for every two steps forward we are taking one back... when it is done, I know it will be done right I hope.

toddsig05.jpg

I did fark me off... but it wasnt too bad and it already took 4 weeks to get there. I got a discount on it instead.

Well, today I worked on teh car again for the last time until next Thursday, hopefully the day they will begain putting color down on it...

Today I prepped all the engine bay, cleaned up the inner guards to get them to be stoneguard coated, masked all of the engine off and had drinks with the boys for easter... the shop is closed tomorrow, back open Tuesday, but things are happening slowly.

Preparation is the key to a good paint job I am told, if you get that right you are about 90% set... well I hope all the skinned knuckles, dirty hands and sore hands pay off for me :-P

Polaris it is. Aoon now I hope :-)

Todd

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Well not much more to report except that it has blown out for another 2 weeks at least at the paint shop.

I did however get bored and put together a photoshop of what I hope it looks like.

2002ps1.jpg

Just need the wheels! Maybe cahsel.de will return my email sometime in the next year with a price!?!

Todd

I have a friend over in Germany that just bought a set of the E21 factory knock offs. He might be interested in selling them.

Yeah, I have taken some pics along the way, but I have been lugging my computer down there each day so I have had my hands too full to take my camera as well.

There were pics taken yesterday as it went into the booth to get the engine bay painted, but other than that, not many in the last week...

We spent most of the time prepping and cleaning with the panel guy welding holes from the lower trims and a few rust spots.

I have been doing a lot of the prep work so it is hard to sort of take a picture and have it not look like nothing is happening if you know what I mean?

I am on to a set of Alpina rims in Australia, its just that right now I cant really justify them... hopefully I will get them for my birthday for myself :D

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

that we can all share in the transformation - and learn some trade tricks on paint prep and knuckle skinning.....

Tim, We've been taking some pic's along the way with 'blacky' so if you need any advice, Bill can give you some tips... he tends to 'over prep' (if thats possible). I've just been doing a bit of minor sanding so i wouldnt be as much help but the guy that is painting blacky was surprised at the finish Bill was able to get with the 2pack paint in the engine bay and boot of whitey. It was his first time using 2 pack paint too.

Catch up soon,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

When i scan in some pictures :-P... We didnt even have a digital camera when we bought the car! has it been that long... :-O

Theres been a fair bit of progress since you were here. Guide coat should be going on soon :-)

Hopefully catch up this w.e... check ya phone :-P

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky