• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodfellas Project

Tommy

Just noticed that I never updated how the races went. Sorry about that. Well, better late than never.

As planned I went to the first races with old tires. Managed keeping my racing license and had some fun. ...Too much fun which lead to buying new tires for next race. With competitive tires it was even more fun and I was fighting for places 7th to 4th on dry. Other guys have gone forward during my sabbatical years and they have experience about the tires. There's not many who are still using ancient engine from 60's like me and nothing can be done to beat Yamaha powered Sumbeam Imps. On wet the car was impossible to drive and I was nearly last.

So this happened 2012. Last year I didn't even start the car but next summer I hope to have time participating some club track days. I have also worked a little with the car which I'll report next.

Tommy

post-9253-0-29319800-1388824065_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-80321600-1388824083_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-62493000-1388824103_thumb.jp

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

With semi slick tires steering effort was even more than before. With quick ratio rack from Opel Ascona and 225 wide tires it's not actually surprise. I had already some time ago bought a full electric power steering unit originally from Opel Corsa. I started installation March last year but car projects have slowed down quite a bit since own house and family. It was finished last week. 

Unit installed nicely in engine room. The space was actually reserved for it since the beginning. Control unit is under dash. Assistance can be adjusted with a potentiometer via pulse generator which gives signal corresponding to originally used speed signal.

It's all functional but tested only in garage. It'll be interesting to see how it feels in real use.

Tommy

post-9253-0-95819300-1389029051_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-66781700-1389029071_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-96589700-1389029088_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-04749900-1389029109_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-77624100-1389029140_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Tommy....

just caught up on this thread.....really interesting info....car looks gooood.

Yamaha engines in the Imps?......what kind of power?......carb or injected?

can I ask:...what helmet is that in your pic?.....what brand?..

tia

jrk

Thanks!

They use Yamaha R1 engines, somebody has also Suzuki Hayabusa engine. At least one of the guys states 165hp@12500rpm 110Nm@10500rpm. There's some incar videos in youtube from him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC1-hLzff5w

Pretty sure it was Arai helmet. Borrowed from a friend as I don't have a HANS compatible helmet that is required now. I like more open, like rally style helmet better.

Tommy

• 3 months later...

Yesterday there was a BMW Club Finnland track event. Power steering worked great and made driving much easier. Overall the car worked perfectly for the whole day and I was able to run more than 40 laps. Balance was great and even the two years old Yokohama tires had still good grip after few warmup laps.

Tommy

• 4 years later...

Wow time flies! I actually thought I had updated the blog more recently but seems it's nearly 5 years. In the meantime I broke the engine, I guess 2014. Broken crankshaft and almost broken chain tensioner. Fixed that later in 2017 and ran couple of races. Last lap of the Historic Grand Race 2017 lower ball joint failed while braking into a slow left hander and I slid into a bank making some damage, mostly fiberglass. Fixed that. Since 2012 the car has mostly sat in the garage and I've been trying to sell it without success.

After latest ridiculous swap offer I got fed up trying to sell it and came to my decision. I feel I betray some of my bimmer fellas and part of myself too but I've found that the all the way tuned m10 is just too much effort, in both money and time, for me to keep up these days. Anyway track driving, not necessarily racing, is still the most fun I know but I wish for something more reliable and easier maintained. It's the end of one era for Goodfellas racer and the m10 is coming out for the last time.

Replacement has arrived - JDM spec F20C. 250hp stock engine with usable range from 6 to 9k rpm. Since the front end is built for dry sump I'm afraid it's not a quick swap. Hope to be back on track by 2020.

Tommy 

M10.jpg

F20C.jpg

Wow - a 5 year lapse on your blog!   Sorry to read about your broken M10 - hopefully you can salvage the best components from it locally.  Can barely make out a transmission in your last picture. Are you going to use the stock S2000 transmission?

Jim 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Yep Jim, that's the plan with the tranny. I got the Getrag 265/5 sold for some decent money but no such luck with the engine. Engine is fixed now but since it's not period correct for FIA historic the markets are thin. Trying to sell it for one third of the cost but still too expensive for those who are interested.

Tommy

• 1 year later...

F20C in and running! Just a year and half later :)

July 25th it was moving on it's own for the first time. Since that three track test days and a dyno run.

Dyno result was 220hp at 7500rpm. Why - well it appears that we hit Japan top speed limiter at 180kph. Need to work a way around that. Torque was there as supposed and engine seems healthy.

On track it feels suprisingly much the same as my M10. I'm not quite used to rev it all the way to 9000 rpms. In the last run the M10 had 213Hp at 7600 rpms and rev limit at 8,5k, so the difference isn't that great. But one is 100% stock engine and the other...wasn't.

Pictures show how it sits nicely in there, all behind the rear axle. I replaced the oil squirt banjos and intake valve retainers, known issues with F20C. Replaced plugs, some seals, etc., removed all the air pump crap and replaced cIutch and flywheel with a Carbonetic set that happend come by in ebay. Made wiring harness for the engine. Also redid all other wiring and a dash to fit the Honda gauge panel.

So, now we have a totally stock 250hp engine fitted in a racecar. Hope to have fun on track next season and less time spent in garage. Only time will tell how it goes.

20200726_153326.jpg

20200829_161342.jpg

20200802_113540.jpg

20200911_151749.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I see many people here in US also doing this swap....and yeah I agree that an M10 pushed to those power levels gets expensive and you are just playing with fire and at some point something will go very bad.... all in all if the end result still allows you to put the car in a class where the racing is good then that's all that matters.

would love to see some videos at some point!!

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

• 1 year later...

I've become pretty lazy with the updates...I think it's because I'm tired about doing anything with computer.. get enough of that at work. Well, I thought it's time for a small update over couple of latest years.

I got the speed limiter problem solved in 2020. Used speed signal from gearbox but it required a divider circuit to get enough pulses for the ECU to be happy. It's been good since that.

In 2021 I ran full race season in finnish Roadsport class A. I was way overweight for class A but too much underweight to compensate with ballast for class B. The engine just doesn't fit the rules that well. I finished third in class anyway, not that much competion who would run full season. @tzei took the win. In the practice of season finale a re-treaded race tire lost part of its tread and my car lost a fender...and some. Pictures below show the damage and repair using the largest parts of fender collected from the track, some aluminum sheet, lots of pop-rivets and yellow duct tape.

20210903_145221.jpg.48b56b3a3fb511f6bd3b5cc0803dbfb7.jpg

20210903_170528.jpg

20210903_193015.jpg20210904_082318.jpgThe last picture is nicer moments from the season. tzei on the right with a larger trophy.

20210704_160555.jpg

For 2022 I didn't do anything to the car but took part in couple of BMW club track days with the taped fender. No races.

Now I'm working with some outlook/aerodynamic updates and fixing the damage. I'm planning to make an update of that but we'll see. No plans to participate races this year but maybe 2024, targeting to class B.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, so

On 2/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, Robin02 said:

It's nice to see that you are still using the car 👍 thanks for the update

Oh yes, some year more actively, some less.  I feel that I should know you but can't connect...

Here's a peek from messy garage.

Clipboard01.jpg.7c49739da60fb8f42e464559c50d2d2c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 4:43 AM, Dominique said:

Hi Tommy,

I am in Florida, and working on a BMW 2002 engine. I saw your intake manifold and I would like to know of you made more ?

If yes, let me know.

Thank you very much.

Dominique.

Hey Domique, the slide throttle intake was a one-off project that was acheived with help from many friends and collegues in that time. Sorry but I wouldn't be able to re-produce one if I wanted to. :) Feel free to use the design and ideas though!