Tommy

Goodfellas Project

113 posts / 92380 viewsLast Reply

Just noticed that I never updated how the races went. Sorry about that. Well, better late than never.

As planned I went to the first races with old tires. Managed keeping my racing license and had some fun. ...Too much fun which lead to buying new tires for next race. With competitive tires it was even more fun and I was fighting for places 7th to 4th on dry. Other guys have gone forward during my sabbatical years and they have experience about the tires. There's not many who are still using ancient engine from 60's like me and nothing can be done to beat Yamaha powered Sumbeam Imps. On wet the car was impossible to drive and I was nearly last.

So this happened 2012. Last year I didn't even start the car but next summer I hope to have time participating some club track days. I have also worked a little with the car which I'll report next.

Tommy

post-9253-0-29319800-1388824065_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-80321600-1388824083_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-62493000-1388824103_thumb.jp

With semi slick tires steering effort was even more than before. With quick ratio rack from Opel Ascona and 225 wide tires it's not actually surprise. I had already some time ago bought a full electric power steering unit originally from Opel Corsa. I started installation March last year but car projects have slowed down quite a bit since own house and family. It was finished last week. 

Unit installed nicely in engine room. The space was actually reserved for it since the beginning. Control unit is under dash. Assistance can be adjusted with a potentiometer via pulse generator which gives signal corresponding to originally used speed signal.

It's all functional but tested only in garage. It'll be interesting to see how it feels in real use.

Tommy

post-9253-0-95819300-1389029051_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-66781700-1389029071_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-96589700-1389029088_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-04749900-1389029109_thumb.jp

post-9253-0-77624100-1389029140_thumb.jp

Tommy....

just caught up on this thread.....really interesting info....car looks gooood.

Yamaha engines in the Imps?......what kind of power?......carb or injected?

can I ask:...what helmet is that in your pic?.....what brand?..

tia

jrk

Thanks!

They use Yamaha R1 engines, somebody has also Suzuki Hayabusa engine. At least one of the guys states [email protected] [email protected] There's some incar videos in youtube from him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC1-hLzff5w

Pretty sure it was Arai helmet. Borrowed from a friend as I don't have a HANS compatible helmet that is required now. I like more open, like rally style helmet better.

Tommy

Yesterday there was a BMW Club Finnland track event. Power steering worked great and made driving much easier. Overall the car worked perfectly for the whole day and I was able to run more than 40 laps. Balance was great and even the two years old Yokohama tires had still good grip after few warmup laps.

Tommy

Wow time flies! I actually thought I had updated the blog more recently but seems it's nearly 5 years. In the meantime I broke the engine, I guess 2014. Broken crankshaft and almost broken chain tensioner. Fixed that later in 2017 and ran couple of races. Last lap of the Historic Grand Race 2017 lower ball joint failed while braking into a slow left hander and I slid into a bank making some damage, mostly fiberglass. Fixed that. Since 2012 the car has mostly sat in the garage and I've been trying to sell it without success.

After latest ridiculous swap offer I got fed up trying to sell it and came to my decision. I feel I betray some of my bimmer fellas and part of myself too but I've found that the all the way tuned m10 is just too much effort, in both money and time, for me to keep up these days. Anyway track driving, not necessarily racing, is still the most fun I know but I wish for something more reliable and easier maintained. It's the end of one era for Goodfellas racer and the m10 is coming out for the last time.

Replacement has arrived - JDM spec F20C. 250hp stock engine with usable range from 6 to 9k rpm. Since the front end is built for dry sump I'm afraid it's not a quick swap. Hope to be back on track by 2020.

Tommy 

M10.jpg

F20C.jpg

Wow - a 5 year lapse on your blog!   Sorry to read about your broken M10 - hopefully you can salvage the best components from it locally.  Can barely make out a transmission in your last picture. Are you going to use the stock S2000 transmission?

Jim 

Yep Jim, that's the plan with the tranny. I got the Getrag 265/5 sold for some decent money but no such luck with the engine. Engine is fixed now but since it's not period correct for FIA historic the markets are thin. Trying to sell it for one third of the cost but still too expensive for those who are interested.

Tommy