• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not quite an 02, but a pretty fun project...

AlCanuck

Many of you have already seen this baby, or at least know I own it. I hope you guys will let me post it here, even though it isn't an 02, and I sold both my 02's to help fund it. If it helps my 02 karma, I am also restoring a 73 2002, and have a 72 tii lined up next.

Anyway, here she is in all her glory. It's an 81 323i, E21, right hand drive from the UK. I bought this car almost a year and a half ago, and have been plugging away on it ever since.

323i.JPG

Notice the factory bronze tinted windows.

On%20tow%20truck.JPG

After a wash.

BBS%20wheels%20left%20front.JPG

The wash helped, but she needed so much more. This car sat since the late 80's, with only 134k miles on her.

DSCF0002.JPG

I decided to wash her in the harshest soap I could get.....SAND!

Blasted%203.JPG

Blasted.JPG

After MONTHS in the body shop, and hundreds of headaches, she FINALLY got a fresh coat of BMW 138 Zinnoberrot. The paint is an ICI single stage.

DONE.JPG

DONE%202.JPG

DONE%203.JPG

This is more or less where she sits now, while I struggle through a little case of project car burnout.

tail%20lights%20in.JPG

Azenis%20tread.JPG

BBS%20on%20right%20rear.JPG

BBS%20on%20right%20front.JPG

lights%20in.JPG

clean%20dash.JPG

A few other items of note.

I started to get a little out of hand collecting wheels for this car. I sold the 4 13" BBS wheels, but I still have the 15x7's, and I'm also working on a set of barely used, NOS turbine wheels. One of the silver wheels has since been refinished in gold to match.

BBS%20whels.JPG

Suspension for the beast. Koni adjustables with H&R springs. I've also got urethane bushings, all new everything else, and an Alpina replica lower tie bar. Swaybars will be stock.

323i%20suspension.JPG

Other items of note are the bronzed windows, close ratio dog leg 5 speed, and the super clean, low mileage 2.3L Euro spec M20 for it. This car is going to be mostly stock, except wheels, tires suspension, and colour combo, although both interior and exterior colours are from newer BMW's. Only other modification is stainless brake lines. Interior will be something pretty special, but close to stock. Think S package Recaros, sewn as original, but in a natural tan material. The rest of the car is being rebuilt with all new window moulding, brand new bumpers, 3 new windows(rear quarters, and windshield), all new rubber except doors(still like new), new side moulding, new tail lights, new factory fasteners wherever they are visible, etc, etc.

I was hoping to have the car done this spring, but I am doubtful now. I'm feeling a bit burned out on it, so I've tucked it away for a little while, and am focusing on other projects, like my E28. Probably will be a late 2006, or 2007 coming out party. Goal is to have the nicest E21 on the planet, with no expense spared.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

The gold BBS's look fantastic on it...cant wait to see what you've got planned for the interior!

Tom

Thanks Tom. I don't have anything TOOOOO fancy planned for the interior. It's going to be a nice tan colour, with Recaros, and a combo of vinyl and tweed. Carpet will be a high end wool, and the headliner I bought the OEM vinyl, and sewed our own. Should be simple, stockish, and comfy.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

didnt you have the min the 02? ive always wondered if konis are better, as they were the stuff back when these cars were made but ive heard quality control isnt as tight as bilstein? sweet e21 btw

Yes, I do prefer Koni to Bilstein. Not that there is anything at all wrong with Bilstein, but I've been very, very pleased with Koni. I had Koni in my 2002, I will have them in my 323i, and I also have Koni shocks, as well as Koni swaybars on my daily driver 533i. I find they ride a bit nicer, without giving up any control to the Bilsteins. If I'm building something on a tighter budget, I like the Boge Turbogas.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

...but since when does everyone have the same opinion. I have Koni's but im sure Bilstein are a top shock too. Id be more than happy to use them.

Tom

Yep, you're right. Bilstein is pretty top notch, and I'd be more than happy to run them in any of my cars.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

didnt you have the min the 02? ive always wondered if konis are better, as they were the stuff back when these cars were made but ive heard quality control isnt as tight as bilstein? sweet e21 btw

I have them in my 02. I find them a nicer ride then bilstein HD stiff, but not as jarring like Bilstein sport...

They rule.

I have them in my 02. I find them a nicer ride then bilstein HD stiff, but not as jarring like Bilstein sport...

They rule.

Of course you have Konis! That's because you own MY old 02!

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50