Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

ITS DOWN TO THE WIRING!... the horror,.... the horror... ;)

8 posts / 145 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

Lets see, I got the starter back in, tranny ass-end support (the "rail" method) and shifter done (snick!!), center bearing, Heater box back in, Windsheild wiper "subframe" and arms back in (motor is hanging up drying paint), ... radiator is in, sort of (still cant find my G-D engine fan/s), so its a temporary job right now. I also filled the shifter "tube" (the part that takes the shifter knob) with some butyl caulk (if it ever dries in there) to eliminate any looseness in the upper part of the shifter handle. Lets see, what else... I also ground down the stock instrument pod mounting "tab" things that are spot welded to the top of the dash to make room for my sick Autometers. So, it is basically down to the wiring at this point.... more or less. I posted the .xls version of the wiring plan to my directory on the faqsite, if any of you want to download it and see how stupid I really, really am... It represents HUNDREDS of hours of work, so, ENJOY THE LAUGHTER!!!!!! ;)

-Rob

The Horror!!

Guest Anonymous

Now that you are cleaning all the shit out of your garage, did you ever find the brackets for the sway bar (front) I bought from you?

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

I will add these to the tranny conversion article at some point... actually I will try to get better shots for the article I guess. Obviously the purpose of doing it this way is to avoid having to cut or weld the tunnel, however I am finding this is actually a really EASY and ACCURATE way to do it as well...

You can see the downpipe in the way of the pics, which is another thing I got done on the car. Also visible is the black undercoating gunk I sprayed into the tunnel to limit driveline noise.

therail-1.jpg

This actually does a pretty good job of showing how it all works. I am running an electronic speedo so I didnt need to clearance the rail for it like you would have to do with the stock speedo. When turning the driveshaft by hand, the guibo shows NO flexing whatsoever and appears to be lined up pretty perfectly just by running the rails from the former 4-speed mounts and the center bearing mounts. THis is good!!

therail-2.jpg

this shows the new tranny-ass mounting, with the stock cross memeber just shortened up a bit and some HUGE washers to support it since the ends of the crossmember were cut down enough so that there are no longer holes at the end of it, but just slots there now (if that makes sense).

therail-3.jpg

Here is the center-bearing end of things. The center bearing just mounts normally and then you slap the rails up underneath it. I elongated the holes in the rails just like they are in the mounting tabs so that whatever fore-aft adjustment that comes stock is still available with this conversion technique.

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

missing again??

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

I'll let you know what I find. =)

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

Looks beefy Rob! Nice work. I did not see a tranny mount absorber in there. I use a 320 one... they are bigger ( for 5 speed ). Is your set up using one? if not, how will you compensate for drivetrain twist and movement inherent in the cars? regards, Jay///

Guest Anonymous

(nt)