• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How sperate the two parts of a tranny?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

You need to remove the input shaft bearing in order to split the 4-speed (232) tranny case. This requires some special tooling.

But if all you want to do is replace the seals, then you don't have to break the tranny in two. The input shaft seal can be changed once you remove the gizmo that serves as a guide sleeve for the throwout bearing. The output shaft seal can be replaced after you remove the output flange. Beware that there are two seemingly identical types of output shaft seal that differ by only a few millimeters in seal diameter. If your output shaft has "coarse" splines, you need a "small" seal. If your output shaft has "fine" splines you need the larger seal. The coarse splines are squarish looking; the fine splines are kindof triangular. The 232 used a coarse-spline shaft until 1975, I think, but many earlier units were rebuilt with the later style shaft. Generally if you call up and order a seal without specifying which type, you will get the larger fine-spline version, and then you will have a good leak.

Pop those pins back in before you do anything else.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Do i have to pull the two bearings. All i need to do is replace the seals. I have already punched out the two alignment pegs and cant get the two halves to seperate. Can someone please help me?

Thank you

Andy Rattley