• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my project...beware...lot's of larger pic's

esty

Thats the one from Al Canucks old car.. Thats now in my Siena Braun daily driver. Now Slash02 has his old car and I got the interior.. Sure is yummy!

Esty, we differ on interiors. Mine is all black. Yours looks fantastic none the less. How many coats of Vinyl dye did you use?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many coats of Vinyl dye did you use?

two on all but the dash....3 to get full coverage on a black dash...2 to 3 coats of most colors should cover any other color as long as it's absolutely, squeeky clean.....vinyl seems to be more prone to get fisheyes, maybe because of the years of armor-all, etc...if you do get any just scuff them lightly and recoat

Yup, that's my old interior. I sure do miss it.

Esty, if you want to avoid the fish eyes on the vinyl, try this:

1) Scrub with Spray 9 or equivalent

2) Rinse until NO beads of water appear on the surface

3) Use either the SEM vinyl prep, or the plastic prep, depending on what surface you're shooting. I would use the vinyl prep on a dash.

4) Spray the dye. You shouldn't get any fish eyes at all, especially on softer surfaces.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

Esty, if you want to avoid the fish eyes on the vinyl, try this:

1) Scrub with Spray 9 or equivalent

2) Rinse until NO beads of water appear on the surface

3) Use either the SEM vinyl prep, or the plastic prep, depending on what surface you're shooting. I would use the vinyl prep on a dash.

4) Spray the dye. You shouldn't get any fish eyes at all, especially on softer surfaces.

Al

thanks al....i know that but mention'd the fisheye's for the benefit of the novice

your tutorial's more comprehensive though

Can't help but admire those who do their own work! Only problem is all the hard work you put in detailing the engine bay is overshadowed by the overspray. Other than that it looks good!

74 tii m20 stroker 2.8 turbo (2 more cylinders coming soon)

87 s52 powered 325"e"s

05 2500HD for Towing

99 M Coupe

01 525it

Only problem is all the hard work you put in detailing the engine bay is overshadowed by the overspray. Other than that it looks good!
thanks for the compliment and....

aside from any trash that i may drop while working under the hood, what might appear to be overspray is just shadows and reflections....there's no overspray in my engine compartment or on any of it's components

My bad, the photos make it look as if the strut tower bearings, washer hose and some decals got sprayed.

e6.jpg

it does look like overspray but is actually tape around the shocktower bushings that hasn't been removed since i painted...the speckles on top of the bushing is polish splatter from buffing and will wash off...i dont have any decals and doubt i'll put them back...the rest is reflective i guess from the flash exposure...

the rear firewall is still unfinished...i haven't decided how i'm gonna treat it....any suggestions?

What about the red overspray all over the brake lines coming through the inner fender?

As for the firewall, just buy brand new insulation at the dealer. It's cheap, fits right, and looks good. Also, make sure you toss those damn DOT height spacers from on top of the strut bearings, and use new zinc nuts when you bolt the struts back in.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

it does look like overspray but is actually tape around the shocktower bushings that hasn't been removed since i painted...the speckles on top of the bushing is polish splatter from buffing and will wash off...i dont have any decals and doubt i'll put them back...the rest is reflective i guess from the flash exposure...

the rear firewall is still unfinished...i haven't decided how i'm gonna treat it....any suggestions?

I think I am just seeing your vin taped off, not a decal.

I'm with Al, some factory insulation or even some aftermarket heat sheilding could be made to cover most of the areas you haven't painted yet.

74 tii m20 stroker 2.8 turbo (2 more cylinders coming soon)

87 s52 powered 325"e"s

05 2500HD for Towing

99 M Coupe

01 525it

What about the red overspray all over the brake lines coming through the inner fender?

As for the firewall, just buy brand new insulation at the dealer. It's cheap, fits right, and looks good. Also, make sure you toss those damn DOT height spacers from on top of the strut bearings, and use new zinc nuts when you bolt the struts back in.

Al

...not overspray...it's full blown paint...

i haven't install'd my new stainless brake lines yet

Your stainless lines replace the rubber lines by the strut, but what about the steel hard lines that poke through the inner fender, and loop towards the master cylinder? I can clearly see red overspray all over them, as well as on the rubber grommets that they run through. And don't forget about new zinc nuts on the strut tops to replace the red painted ones. I know they're spendy at 28 cents each, but you only want to do this once!

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

but what about the steel hard lines that poke through the inner fender, and loop towards the master cylinder? I can clearly see red overspray all over them, as well as on the rubber grommets that they run through. And don't forget about new zinc nuts on the strut tops to replace the red painted ones. I know they're spendy at 28 cents each, but you only want to do this once!

Al

as i mention'd earlier...the new polish'd, stainless lines & grommets haven't been installed yet...

but what about the steel hard lines that poke through the inner fender, and loop towards the master cylinder? I can clearly see red overspray all over them, as well as on the rubber grommets that they run through. And don't forget about new zinc nuts on the strut tops to replace the red painted ones. I know they're spendy at 28 cents each, but you only want to do this once!

Al

as i mention'd earlier...the new polish'd, stainless lines & grommets haven't been installed yet...

So, you're replacing the actual bent, steel lines with polished stainless? Usually, when people say "stainless lines", they mean the rubber flex hoses. That's not going to be fun to replace the lines with the engine in the car! Also, wasn't the car originally Malaga? Doesn't it bother you that it will still be Malaga around the holes where the lines come through? Might have been easier to pop the grommets out BEFORE paint, no? Hmm, I guess some people like to do things the hard way.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50