Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

WTB round shift boot

4 posts / 174 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Pristine (if such a thing exists) round shift boot. BTW, when did they change to the square. Anyone done a square to round conversion?

Guest Anonymous

My late '71 (12 fuse) doesn't have the lip on the

body for it, but came to me w/ the short console

and the round boot. So, I'm thinking the 6 fuse cars

had the round boots, then around the time they

changed to 12 fuses, they also elongated the

console and made the shift boot square. That's my

theory...

Guest Anonymous

My '74 originally had a square-shaped black wooden shift console gizmo, an extension of the A/C and radio console. It had a pleather shift boot. I've removed all of the console stuff, and I use a round VW Beetle shift boot, which looks an awful lot like the early round 1600 boot. I'm redoing everything now, but when I get it back together it will pretty much be just a rubber boot and a painted transmission tunnel--no rug, but I'll make up some extra thick sound-and-heat barrier floor mats.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

to a round termination. I'll fab an aluminum base with a longer neck round flange for the boot. I think it will look pretty good. I've got a tig machine so it will be solid. My current sq boot is just a PITA. I've wired it, tie wrapped it and generally spent more time than I want to with it. I'm thinking I might powder coat the new base Golf (is that possible?), that lovliest of '02 colors,to get a tad of color inside. I may do the instrument cluster that way too.