• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems and confusion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Folks, this is my third attempt to post a message; I can't find any of my previous posts, nor can I find any replies I made to existing posts on the

General discussion forum.

Some questions:

1. how can i return to the main forum screen after I've read a message without using my browser's back button?

2. how can I switch from one forum to another (general discussion to "for sale" for example) with one or two clicks like I was able to do on the old setup.

3. When I try to create an account, I can't because I'm told my user name "isn't available" even tho I've been using it ever since the board began...and it won't let me post under that name even as a "guest"...

suggestions:

1. Leave the messages in chronological order as they were posted. Takes way too long for a quick scan to see if anything new has been posted.

2. Have a single "for sale" forum; there arent' that many postings, and it saves time to have only one forum to check vs two.

3. Have a tutorial on the home page for new users (I guess we all are). As a computer guy, I'm pretty good with carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. I can't figure out most of the features on the new board without a little guidance.

And I hope this posts, as it's the third time I've tried to get it on the board.

Some questions:

1. how can i return to the main forum screen after I've read a message without using my browser's back button?

Near the top of the page you will see:

BMW 2002 FAQ Forum Index -> Site Suggestions and Questions

Clicking on either of those links will take you either back to the index, or straight to the forum you're in.

2. how can I switch from one forum to another (general discussion to "for sale" for example) with one or two clicks like I was able to do on the old setup.

There is a "Jump to:" menu at the bottom of the page, which is being relocated to the top in the upcoming redesign.

3. When I try to create an account, I can't because I'm told my user name "isn't available" even tho I've been using it ever since the board began...and it won't let me post under that name even as a "guest"...

What name are you trying for? We may be able to resolve it with the person who took that name. Is it simply "mike"? If it's true that you've always been using that name, hopefully the other "mike" won't mind. In general, I think these disputes should be up to Steve or similar to resolve.

suggestions:

1. Leave the messages in chronological order as they were posted. Takes way too long for a quick scan to see if anything new has been posted.

This has been proposed by others, and is being worked. Stay tuned.

2. Have a single "for sale" forum; there arent' that many postings, and it saves time to have only one forum to check vs two.

Worth considering. There are people on both sides of the fence about how many forums to have... seems like the for sale can stay split for a while to see how it works, then we can merge it later if it seems like too many. Better to test it out there than with the main thread.

3. Have a tutorial on the home page for new users (I guess we all are). As a computer guy, I'm pretty good with carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. I can't figure out most of the features on the new board without a little guidance.

This is a good idea -- maybe just a few frequently asked questions, e.g. "how do I show all posts?" or "how do I upload an image?"

And I hope this posts, as it's the third time I've tried to get it on the board.

Worked great... not sure what was going wrong before -- if you give me more details I can look at it.

Guest Anonymous

Yep, I've been posting as just plain ole "mike" (lower case) ever since the forum opened....I'm not absolutely wedded to the name, but that's been my handle for three years...

Eagerly awaiting the tutorial...and one more suggestion...make the type font a bit larger on the postings. My pore ole eyes can barely read what I'm writing...

Cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

When I finish reading a thread and want to go back to the same place I was previously, clicking on the forum name just above the blue bar on the screen returns me to the top of page one, even if I'm in the middle of page two or three or whatever. Shouldn't it return you to where you left off or am I doing it wrong?

See why you need a tutorial for us computer dummies? As a computer guy, I'm pretty good with carburetors!

Cheers

mike