• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 seconds for forum to load clicking on direct link. (nt)

and reading your indexing comments we'll see how it is for me. Like I said before, I'm dialup at about 44k normally, with WFW311 and IE3.02, so I don't expect to be super fast, but at least reasonable as it's been in the past.

Right, but the delay you're seeing is not due to throughput or slow hardware, it's on the server side. Search is still indexing... 145,800 posts so far of ~260k, so it should be done by tonight.

One thing I've found using the threaded view is that the thread order is based on the most recent post within the thread, not on the main post itself, so that the thread order is skewed to whatever post happened to have the most recent reply. Again, just commenting here.

This is something that others have brought up as well. It is possible to change this if there is consensus. I'm going to work on a mod so we'll have it in the bag if folks want to go that way.

and then changing to flat view. When I change to flat it brings me back to the first page, and then when I go to the second page it goes back to threaded view again, so I click on flat and it takes me back to the first page of flat view and I effectively can't get past that first page in flat unless I make flat as the default. Now this could be because you're relying on cookies for this and I have any cookies written to a zero-length file (really just a filename only) so I don't have to deal with them at all (as they then don't exist). Things do seem to be operating faster already, but I'll time things once you say the indexing is done. Again, I'm not complaining, just observing, and I appreciate your trying to make things work with me in particular, and we dialup users in general. I also appreciate your setting the ability to post a pic via HTML within a post, which is how I prefer to do it. Danke.

Now this could be because you're relying on cookies for this and I have any cookies written to a zero-length file (really just a filename only) so I don't have to deal with them at all (as they then don't exist).

I think you're right about that. I would be happy to change the default to flat view, but I'm not sure how others would feel about that. We made it threaded initially since it was how the other board was layed out.

internet users, and to exclude them in your website thinking is doing a disservice to your website. If you have a dialup friendly website you'll increase traffic and won't harm the dsl/Cable users anyway. Dialup can be used anywhere you have a phone line to plug into without headaches, and that cannot be said for high-speed connections where you'd have to set network connections for every different net you plug into, let alone wireless, if your computer even has the abiltiy to do high-speed. Also your dialup works when your power fails as a hard-wired phone is powered by the phone line, assuming you have a laptop with batteries. After the big quake here in 1994 that made a difference when without power for a couple of days, and recharging the laptop with a car adapter. Like our '02s, vintage computer equipment has some advantages over using the latest 21st Century car or computer.

All being said the new format, yes takes a little time getting used to, I do however don't dislike it. It does "look alot more modern". As far as the loads it is relatively new, and understandably it takes time to iron things out. As far as making everyone happy....impossible. Keep up the good work. Spell check is a nice touch. Very intuitive site!

ps average load for me is around 10 secs with T1.