• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forum Development: To-Dos and Status

• [*:7061e5c018] Threaded view should not "bump" recently-responded-to threads to the top. The exact behavior is pending a vote, but I will work on a fix to this in the meantime so we have it in the bag.
    Status: In progress... UPDATE: This mod is ready to go, I need to take the site offline for a few minutes to install it. Expect to do so later tonight.
    [*:7061e5c018] Re-enable Threaded View.
    Status: In progress... UPDATE: Threaded view is back on for individual topics. Will keep an eye on it while I clean up whole-forum thread view. Stay tuned.
    [*:7061e5c018] Performance issues. Some page loads are slow. This issue may resolve itself when the search index is done running in the background. Will revisit when done.
    Status: In progress... We have found some culprits, but there are others. Looking into better cahching, etc. UPDATE: This appears to be getting better. Won't call this "done" until I'm convinced, and we have threaded mode back.
    [*:7061e5c018] Email field for guest posters.
    [*:7061e5c018] Fix garbled characters on Links page, Diff Guide FAQ.
    [*:7061e5c018] Forum "pathway" breadcrumbs not working. The pathway still says "home" when viewing the forum, should say Home -> Forum.
    [*:7061e5c018] Threaded links sometimes behave strangely. Occasionally (usually on old posts) the links to individual posts within a topic will display the wrong post when clicked.
    [*:7061e5c018] Can't read private message body. Private messages have been disabled for now until I can track this one down. Think I know what it is.
    [*:7061e5c018] Forum "pathway" breadcrumbs not working. The pathway still says "home" when viewing the forum, should say Home -> Forum.
    [*:7061e5c018] Non alphanumerics in usernames. Several users want characters in their usernames (like spaces, punctuation, etc.). Need to investigate why this requirement is in place and implement change to work around it. At that time I will open up user name switching for people to switch to their desired name.
    [*:7061e5c018] Auto Resize Avatars Have already gotten several questions/requests for how to create avatars... should probably just provide the auto-resize capability.
    [*:7061e5c018] Ability to use two usernames from one email.
    [*:7061e5c018] Update standalone IRC client instructions.
    [*:7061e5c018] Search results expire on back button.
    [*:7061e5c018] Big reply button next to New Topic.
    [*:7061e5c018] IE forgetting login? Need to verify and investigate...
    [*:7061e5c018] Add date back to topic listing.
    [*:7061e5c018] Automatically convert posts by RIMSPOKE to lower case :P
    [*:7061e5c018] Fix logo. New one is boring, folks really liked the old one.
    [*:7061e5c018] Fonts too small. Legibility issues.
    [*:7061e5c018] Emoticons must die. There is a general disdain for those smiling bastards.
    Status: Done. Disabled emoticons (also due to overwhelming vote against them)
    [*:7061e5c018] Redundant Menu Items. There is a FAQ nav bar item that pertains to the forum and a FAQs item that pertains to the actual FAQs. Need to clean this up.
    Status: Done. Move the Forum menu bar to the bottom of the page (profile, etc.) and added the "Forum Search" to the top nav bar all the way on the right.
    [*:7061e5c018] Move "Author" column close to "Topics" column on topic listing pages. The complaint is that it's difficult to attribute an author to a post.
    Status: Done. I appended the author info in flat view, and in the threaded view I'm starting to move to something that should look pretty familiar. NOTE: Thread view currently disabled until we can debug it.
    [*:7061e5c018] Look into spell checker plugin.
    Status: Done. Note the "Spell Check" button below the post entry box now.
    [*:7061e5c018] Relocate forum jump menu to top of screen.
    [*:7061e5c018] Dutch language reply buttons missing.
    [*:7061e5c018] Some pics links are broken in the FAQs (ex. 318 EFI schematic blowup)
    Status: Done. Thanks to _z_ for helping out with this. Let us (him) know if there are any more broken.
    [*:7061e5c018] Thumbnails are rendering funny Low color depth? Will investigate imagemagick flags, etc.
    [*:7061e5c018] Increase avatar size to 90x120. Makes posting pics of cars easier, etc. See thread on this topic for examples.
    [*:7061e5c018] Reply button near spell check, clarify button arrangement.
    [*:7061e5c018] More forums? The suggestion was made that the "General Discussion" forum is overloaded. Should look at adding a few more. This is a trivial change, but will be up to steve and the community.
    Status: Done. Moved older posts to "Archive" forum. This should help some of the speed issues as well.
    [*:7061e5c018] All Times GMT -8 hrs for some ppl. Should be GMT -7 for PDT. Not sure why this is. Can change in profile, but this is for people not logged in.
    [*:7061e5c018] Fix colors. Not enough contrast for links, etc.
    Status: Done. Added back underlines for links, cleaned up spacing, etc.
    [*:7061e5c018] Quote formatting is broken.
    [*:7061e5c018] Link visibility issues.
    [*:7061e5c018] Jump to 2nd and later pages in a topic does not work.
    [*:7061e5c018] Jump box links broken.

A reply button next to the new topic button would be cool too. Also a post message button next to the spell check button.

Thanks for all your hard work. I appreciate it very much!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• [*:84e7c65fd4] Dutch language reply buttons missing.

It's still a a button with 'reply' on it. In dutch it should be 'antwoord'. No biggie...

BTW the headers in every post seems to be hardcoded in the new version : eg Date / From / Subject. Location is translated to dutch (woonplaats).

best regards,

Wilbert

netherlands.gif

1973 2002 targa (chamonix)

1974 1802 touring (inka)

2006 120i 5d (sparkling graphite)

• [*:b92b75b639] Dutch language reply buttons missing.

It's still a a button with 'reply' on it. In dutch it should be 'antwoord'. No biggie...

BTW the headers in every post seems to be hardcoded in the new version : eg Date / From / Subject. Location is translated to dutch (woonplaats).

best regards,

Wilbert

This is actually a pretty quick and easy fix, but I think you're the only Dutch Language user at the moment, so it will probably remain low on the list. When I *do* get around to fixing it, I will ping you for the translations and add them to the language mapping file.

Guest Anonymous

Can't we get this changed soon or a least make it a user option? The way it is now sucks and lots of others agree. Thanks..steve

but I have a feature request.

It would really suit my reading habits if I could see the top level of the board in the "thread" view, but view individual topics in the "flat" view. Some threads I really don't care to read, but for the ones that I do, having all the posts there is really slick.

Thanks!

John N

• 3 years later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I didn't see it on the To-Do list.

How hard is it to add an RSS feed button for each individual forum? That would be tight. Then we can monitor topic additions within our favorite places in outlook and Google reader..wait. Google reader may be able to do this already. I'll get back to you on that one..

** OK. NO. We need RSS capabilities added.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Sorry guys, but i lost the couple people who were willing to do some code development a few years ago, and i am really a Sys Admin, so we are stuck in stale mate. I am planning to do some upgrades to forum and site software so that it not too customized and will allow better and quicker upgrade options.

I might need some help with database transitions. So if you know MySQL and willing to help, please let me know.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

• 6 months later...

What about different regions having their own forum?

1976 BMW 2002 'Bella'

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2743187 was manufactured on May 12th, 1976 and delivered on May 13th, 1976 to the importer BMW of North America. The original colour was Sahara, paint code 006.

1986 El Camino 'Ellie'