Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

dead '73 wipers?

3 posts / 163 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

The wipers and washer on my '73 are not working at all. I just put in a new wiper/turn signal switch. The signals are fine but when I try the wipers or to squirt the shield nothing happens (had the same problem with the old switch). Anyone else had this problem? What should I be checking?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Could be two independent problems. First (and easiest) turn the key to accessory (do not start engine because you need to hear) and listen for wiper motor action. If you hear motor action, just no wiper movement, then you probably need to replace the transfer gear that actuates the wipers. They break down.

Second (also easy), check to see if you are getting current to the washer pump. If not, and if you didn't hear wiper motor activity, you probably have a bad switch or it wasn't hooked up right.

HTH

Guest Anonymous

box under the dash (just above the hood release, near the turn signal box)When you pull the wiper stalk, you should hear the washer pump whining, then the wipers should make 5-7 strokes before everything shuts down. If washer pump works when voltage is applied (but not when the stalk is pulled) the problem may be with the relay box. Regular wiper action also is controlled by the relay box. Borrow a spare relay from a friend or your parts box and substitute to see if this solves the problem.

Also, there are two different wiring setups at the plug (where switch wiring plugs into car's wiring harness) for the 71-73 cars that have the right hand combination wiper on/off switch, turn signal and wash/wipe control. You may have installed the wrong switch.

Good luck--post what you discover.

Cheers

Mike