Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

snorkels on tii's

21 posts / 199 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Have we ever laid to rest the argument about whether or not any

square tii's came with the snorkeled front end? My '74 has a tube and I

believe it to be original. I've seen some arguments about it before but

can't remember if anybody had definitive information.

Guest Anonymous

I have had a spare parts Tii (74) and there was a snorkel too. I believe it was original too.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

"It's long trip from Munich to the U S of A, so BMW and others had dockside repair facilities that did touchups of cars that were damaged enroute. Or, the dealer may have received the car with minor cosmetic damage and repaired it in their body shop. Given the way cars were transported in the late 60s and 70s, it's pretty easy to see how that could and did happen. What else could they do?? Crush it????

I believe a replaced nose with a snorkel on an otherwise perfectly new tii may have been been delivered to an eager new owner on more than one undocumented occaision."

Cheers!

Delia

Guest Anonymous

2005_0810_032221AA.JPG

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca/

Trev, I don't think the nose on your car is original, is it? I thought it was converted to Euro spec when the bumper mods were done.

Al

Guest Anonymous

Al - I'd probably have to talk to the PO to confirm but I'm pretty sure

he modified the original nose to put the euro bumpers on there.

Guest Anonymous

'02s arrived in the USA with shipping damage. The driver's door was dented in on my '69, as I was given paint and an allowance to have it repaired (I'd been wating nearly 4 months for the car and didn't want to wait any longer).

My '73 had the driver's door replaced before it was delivered new--the door is obviously a spare parts door (black primer) and had a paper parts sticker on the indside. Also, the car had no VIN sticker or evidence of one on the driver's door trailing edge.

So, it's not unlikely that a tii damaged in shipment would have the entire nose replaced at the delivery facility. Or, the factory ran out of tii noses one day and simply substituted a carbureted car nose to keep the assembly line going. Little did they know the controversy they'd be raising 25 years later!

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

schwarz_tii_007.jpg

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/BMW.html

he said he talked to his "buddies" in Germany, who worked in the plant during the production of the tii's. He said that they never put a snorkel nose on a tii.

I believe that Delia's suggestion is the most likely scenario.

You can usually tell by other signs when the nose has been replaced. (1) The front fender seam in the nose is covered over with bondo. (2) The sheetmetal flange on top of the fender is bondo'd over. (3) There are minute cracks over where the front fender seam should be (see #1 above).

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If it has a snorkel, it is not the front end that left the factory on the car!! I believe the "ran out of tii frontends some days is BS! FWIW

Guest Anonymous

I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

I truly do not know the facts, but I am very skeptical that back in the early 70's the Germans "ever" would allow a non-tii core support to be installed on a tii, unless it was for some kind of good reason, and maybe there were good reasons (out of stock, import damage repair, etc.) But remember, back then it was surely very easy to get new tii core supports, so why substitute??? I find it hard to believe that non-tii supports were ever intentionally installed on tii's on the assembly line. It just doesn't compute. Germans do everything on a "functional basis"...and there is no need for the snorkel on a tii!

I'm not knocking tii's that have snorkels installed, for whatever reason....just seems that they have been replaced for one reason or another, unless proof surfaces to the contrary. Anyone have a picture standing beside their brand new tii with snorkel visible? :-)

John

'72tii "Hugo" "sans" snorkel

'73tii "sans" snorkel

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

d317.jpg?phFp68CBRoQiIuzJ

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

bmw_sig.gif

(nt)