Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

About the oil restrictor in the head.

2 posts / 429 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Tman reminded me that I don't have an oil restrictor in the oil passage to the head. I know that its purpose is to lower the flow of oil to the head while perhaps increasing the oil pressure in the block.

Just a recap about my oil consumption. Last year, I could do a whole weekend and burn perhaps half a quart. This year, from my first event, I was burning half a quart during an intense 30 minute session. I do not have any blow-by at all but think that my oil cooler's thermostat may be sticking close. The oil gets hotter, thinner and goes thru the rings. I am now looking for an S14 oil head with integral oil presssure/oil temp senders and will install a bigger oil cooler too. Cooling the oil will remove some burden on the radiator too.

Guest Anonymous

I have only heard of using the oil restrictor when you are using the Schrick cams that don't use the oiling bar. I presume that the cam is drilled and has internal oiling. When would you use a restrictor when not using such a cam, and what is the recommended size, and where exactly do you place it?

On the oil head, I use a remote filter head with ports for pressure and temp senders, I use typical mechanical gauges (SW, as it happens), and use -10 hose and fittings to a plate adaptor on the block. Works very well but you have to remember that the oil pressure is at the begining of the oil circuit, not the end as is the case with the stock fitting on the distributor mount.

Brian