cheeks" or "S14" motors. Go to an Alfa forum and the owners are

happy with the factory performance and and the looks and just prefer

to restore them rather than cut them all up. Some guys always ask and

question the value of 2002's while the other half are chopping them

up. When was the last time you saw a GTV with a different motor other

than a 1750 or 2 liter. This forum is turning into Tuner Transformer,

but hey I still like it. In fact I read the posts here before I even check

my email. In 5 years completely stock 2002's with steel rims will be all

the rage. But whom am I to talk, I made a race car too!

Norm

Guest Anonymous

2002GTV.jpg

copies of the Autodelta flairs and Cramp-and-go-slow wheels with a Gulia sprint GT before I started with my 02.

John

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

people didn't do much modifying then as now. One big advantage of the '02 was that you spent more time driving than fixing, while the Alfa was the opposite. Modification is inherent in the '02 breed, and always was. Alfas have always been for weenies.

Guest Anonymous

the Trans-Am and B sedan series were not BMW's most winning years...

however, there are at least a half dozen of us running 2002's in current classes up here, and all the Alfas run vintage- only. Muhhh hah ahhaaaahahaaaa...

I need some carbon fiber pig cheeks...

t

Guest Anonymous

I ask since BMW seems to get the credit for inventing the sporting sedan.

I love my 2002. It's put together better than an old Alfa. But the Alfa has the styling edge.

My '79 spider was a pita to work on, and had some cheesy parts.

Guest Anonymous

talking about street-cars here. Yeah, in the Under 2.5 Trans-Am, the '02s were last in the pecking order, but then it took the an '02 clone to dust the Alfas. '02s were more competitive in Europe. I like Alfas, but I'd rather have an '02 (and I do and did then too).

1600w1.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Alpine_24.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

IMSA Camel GT Ontario Motor Speedway 1976 . . .

ont4.jpg

ont5.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Alfa sheet metal didn't stand up to the elements as well as the 02, not that the 02 is not prone to rust.

Alfa parts are not readily available like the 02. There are M10 motors all over the boneyards in various models through the 90s.

Alfa owners don't drive their cars as much because of repair expenses and parts availability. It is much costlier to maintain the GTV and modify it.

GTV's are already tuned from the factory to the performance level of the Ti or Tii. They have 5 speed gearboxes, multithrotle Spica injection or dual DCOEs stock from the factory, so their is less of a need to modify them.

They were neck to neck with the 02 in the European Touring Car Championship races. The Trans Am series was not supported by Alfa nor BMW, and it is not an accurate reflection of the capabilities of the two cars. It was Datsun that fully sponsered their team in this series, but it wouldn't have stood a chance against the GTAs and the Schnitzer 02s.

I agree that many Alfa owners are : "Weenie" who tend to view the Alfa as a superior machine to the 02.

The 02 is much easir to repair. Try replacing a waterpump on an Alfa without power tools and shop equipment.

The Alfa is a good car, nice lines, a mini Ferrari with twin cams and aluminum block, but it was not designed for the masses. The 02 on the other hand can do everything an Alfa can, but it is also a Peoples car, more reliable, and more readily repairable in the field. It also has a simpler, but more sophisticated suspension. It is like a Messchesmidt Me 109.

Guest Anonymous

my_m20_7_20.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

A showroom stock 2002 was a family sedan. A showroom stock Alfa GTV was a sports car. The two cars are totally different. The Alfas are a LOT of fun to drive, just the way the factory shipped them. You just don't need to do much to them, except maybe add alloy wheels and Konis. The all aluminum engines are a work of art, and the early models (like mine) had factory dual Webers (sweet!).

A factory stock '02 with its bus-like steering wheel and skinny tires is for sissies. For an enthusiast, you have to upgrade things. BMW has made it so easy to modify the cars too, because engines, trannies and various parts can be used from other BMW models.

Gil

67 Alfa GTV

73 BMW 2002

59 Fiat Abarth 850TC replica

67 Fiat Abart 1300/124 replica

Guest Anonymous

or else it wouldn't have run in the Under 2.5 Trans Am against the 510 and 2002. GTVs ran in those days (early '70s at least) in a sedan class in SCCA racing and IMSA . . .

ont5.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I've always thought the 02 was more like a Fw190, partly for its robust construction, maintain-ability, good cockpit visibility and excellent handling, also because the 190A was powered by a BMW engine.

Guest Anonymous

It seems, to me at least, that many of us are (cringe) hot-rodders. By this I mean that we aren't content to leave our cars alone. Sure, some of us prefer to keep things original, but most of us want more..not because the original 2002's aren't good enough, rather because we just want more. Maybe it's because we're American (most of us)....or maybe it's because we're male (most of us!)...I can't be sure. I just know that when I seat myself in this perfectly designed body of a BMW 2002, I can't wait to turn the key, rev it up and lay waste to difficult turns while passing a Buick. Maybe it's that I like that look on they're face when I blow past them with the window down and that unmistakeable smile on my face. He's caught somewhere between the curiosity of the perfect body lines of the 02 and the enigma of how "that little car" just flew passed him while I wonder how anyone drives a "normal" car to work.

I just have the innate need for my car to go faster, handle better and get better gas mileage as current technology provides such answers...all while keeping that beautiful aesthetic that the 2002 possesses. Also, with BMWs, you often get to upgrade your car with a bolt-on part from a newer BMW, instead of relying on some aftermarket piece of crap to stand up to the quality of a factory piece.

So to get to the ALFA owners....I don't know. They're alright cars, but the drivers and owners just don't seem to have the same love for driving like I (we?) do. I don't need a concours car, I need my own little hotrod that no one saw coming.

It's "The Ultimate Driving Machine," not "The Ultimate Collector's Museum Piece."

I'm in love with this car....even if the previous owner wasn't.