Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Air compressor question

3 posts / 635 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am getting water in my air line that I am using for painting. I have a water/oil separator at the compressor, and 25' away, I have an air dryer. I just noticed that the air dryer says I MUST use an air filter downstream. What good is an air dryer if it lets water through? I need dry air!

I want to have dry air for painting, and I also want to set up another dedicated line for air tools so that I can use an oiler (which I have). What's the recommended setup? What am I doing wrong?

Guest Anonymous

tn_enginebay03_JPG.jpg

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/Megasquirt/megasquirt.html

something to do with removing any dust or whatever from the silica gel in the dryer (if it is that type of dryer), not necessarily just oil/water. It would probably help, though. In fact, the more filters the merrier and you should always have one right at the gun inlet, too.

Maybe the silica gel in your dryer is saturated already or could it be oiled? I am pretty sure it can be baked dry (at least a few times) in the oven at about 200F IIRC. Probably have to replace it if it got oiled. Don't forget to drain the compressor tank every session, too.

The ultimate solution is a refrigerated air dryer, but then they cost big bux up front and probably to run as well.

If you can somehow cool the air coming out of the compressor before it hits the dryer you might have less condensation at the gun. I suppose you can always add a second dryer, too.

If you use an inline tool oiler, you will definitely want a separate set of lines and hoses for the "oiled" air for tools and the "clean" air for painting.

regards,

Zenon

P.S. Glad you're back.

Guest Anonymous

it looks like the dessicant in the canister needs replacing. That should help a lot. I guess I need to get a filter for near the spray gun.