Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

New engine conversion?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Given the cost of fuel, etc I'm interested to see who is first to drop one of the new small BMW diesels into a 2002. Not sure what it would take but I'm kinda interested in such an animal. Dropping the diesel into a small light car like the '02 should give great performance...and economy! And it is all BMW gear. What is the weight difference between the diesel and the M10? Diesels are typically heavier.

Guest Anonymous

truck. id love to have a diesel light duty truck.

Guest Anonymous

The only disels in the US is from the e28 534t and td. Its basicly an M20 engine so the conversion would be similar. The fuel lines would have to be redone, tank cleaned and recoated etc. The two greatest problems would be the torque from the engine and the heat from the engine. While the 02 system is strong and robust, especaly for a 40 year old design 30 on road, its not setup for a diesels torque. You would definatly want the 3.91lsd to get all that torque down to the ground. a 4.10 would be a lot of fun but the 3 bolt flange may be a problem. The radator system would have to be a racing system due to the tramendus heat a diesel puts out. Remember a diesel relies on heat and compression to egnight the fuel. The US spec e28 engine was great for its time but modern euro diesels are far suppior. If you want MPG buy a VW TDI and be very happy. The costs of geting that euro engine over here to the US would kill you.

Sam SChultz

FLock O-02s

78 530i

80 520/6

83 e30 D-Mod

87 e30 325is

90 e30 318is

97 F350 POWER STROKE

88 toyota ugly truck & 4-runner

93 Toyota 4-runner

Guest Anonymous

Why not put the TDI engine in the 02?

How about the V10 from the Tourang...hahaha

Guest Anonymous

16-964238.JPG

weight, plumbing, weight, heat, trans, diff, driveshaft, BIG battery, Big air filter, stink, pre-glow electrics, weight, and diesel fuel right now is few pennies more than GAS = so not much saved - unless you just have gobbs of time, energy, and skill. And money to waste.

My 84' 300D-Turbodiesel out drags my friends BMW 524td

with ease. Both have top ends of 105 MPH. My diesel also gets the same MPG as my '76 2002 with WEBER 32-36 - 25 mpg at 75 MPH.

Guest Anonymous

Since the 524 is based on the M20, it'd be a bolt in using a 323 crossmember, and if you use an an '82 (only) M20 bellhousing 265 5 speed you can even keep the manual speedo.....