Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Help on an A/C installation on a tii.

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

428e.jpg?phAF1.CBIiwW0rOi

URL: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my73bimmer/album?.dir=1ce7&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my73bimmer/my_photos

Right now my 73tii doesnt have an A/C unit and it seems that never had. So probably I will be making a couple of holes in the firewall and in the front of the nose area in the car. Somebody told me that it is very hard to install it on a tii that has never had A/C before. Does anyone with a 2002tii has some kind of information about the installation procedures ? How hard was to install the A/C ? If you have some pictures, could you send them to my email

Thanks, Rolando

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

unless it has to do with the crank hub/pulley. But either way you would need to change the hub to add the pulley for the belt than runs the compressor.

My '72tii "had" a/c at one point but it was removed...but the crank hub still has the extra pulley on there. Pulling the hub on any car with the engine in the car is a pain, but not impossible.

I'd think you would have to remove the radiatior, etc. to gain access to the front of the engine. Then you would need to exchange the hub (use a puller - not hard to do), and add a bracket for the compressor.

The rest should be pretty easy...running lines from the expansion unit under the dash through the firewall and the nose on the pass side to the evaporator. Drier would be mounted on the pass side inner fender.

Someone with a working system should chime in here & maybe shoot you a few pics. If you don't get any help, my '76 has a/c and I could take some pics for you. It's an old original Frigiking unit that needs refurbishment - on my "do-list" :-)

Good Luck,

John

'72tii "Hugo"

Guest Anonymous

47a4.jpg?ph3t1.CB5BLSo9Mc

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

No need to pull the hub,

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

pulley presses on from the back.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

I suppose it's no big deal...just that I don't have a/c on it and probably never will. Another lesson learned. Thanks for the input.

John

'72tii "Hugo"

Guest Anonymous

for the tii,,, do i need to get this extra pulley ?

Guest Anonymous

The tii install is only slightly more involved than the non-tii. You need the special crank pulley as some described correctly. The A/C belt goes on the new rear groove on the pulley, and it's behind the Kugelfischer belt. You have to cut a notch in the lower timing cover. All is explained in detail in the Behr Installation Manual. It includes dimensions for the size and location of the holes you need in the firewall and radiator bulkhead.

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

Sorry that some of these responses may be mislading to you..everyone is trying to help. Best thing I could do is look at a hub, but I could "swear" that the hub that drives an a/c compressor has a pulley "built-in" to the tii hub,,,it "is not" bolted on like the front pulley (that drives the alt)...not at all like that. Surely someone else on the board can verify this?

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)