Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Reliving 02 memories......

7 posts / 237 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.fototime.com/inv/EB41363E82E7A49

I stopped at a small country store Sunday during an afternoon drive. I come out to find a guy, about mid-60s, staring at my car. He asks if its mine and then says that he was the first 02 owner in Washington state (just his perception ?). Turns out he bought a new '67 from a guy in Portland, OR who at the time was the only BMW importer north of L.A. He said he has since owned larger BMWs, Jags, Mercedes, and still has a '71 280SL. Of all the cars he's owned, he still regards the 02 as his favorite. He was thrilled to see my car on the road (as am I) and said he wished he had never sold his. He even asked me to wait for his wife to come out of the store so he could show it to her. She wasn't quite as thrilled as he was but he was beaming as he described the car to her and how much he missed his '67.

One of the finest 02 moment I've had since my car got back on the road.

Guest Anonymous

I dont have a 2002 at the moment.. :) (well I have a burnt out shell) But i'll be fixing that soon.

I had a guy do almost exactly the same thing to me about my e28 on friday. :) He had an e12...

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Antique cars seems to be good common ground for people. People who normally wouldn't say a word to you at a gas station, or at the bank are always calling out, "cool car, what year is it"...and I always say 69 Baby...

Guest Anonymous

As of early 1970, the dealer list for BMW's was pretty small for the West Coast. Right as I type this, I'm looking at a dealer list dating March 15, 1970.

Of course, during the 1969 model year....the list may have been significantly smaller.

Oregon has 3 dealers, 1 in Southern Oregon (Grants Pass) and 2 in the Portland area.....including the first one in the area, Salzmann Motors

5 in Washington: Yakima, Olympis, and 3 in the Seattle area.

HOWEVER, there's a pile in California, 39 dealers, including a bunch in the Bay Area. I'll list them alphabetically.

Alhambra, Anaheim, Bakersfield, Berkeley, Fairfield, Fresno, Garden Grove, Glendale, Hermosa Beach, Lafayette (2), La Habra, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Mill Valley, Modesto, Monterey, Newport Beach, Oceanside, Palo Alto, Pasadena, Riverside, Sacramento (2), San Diego, San Francisco (2), South San Francisco, San Jose, San Leandro, San Luis Obsipo, San Rafael, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Santa Monica, Santa Rosa, Van Nuys, West Hollywood.

Best,

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

Guest Anonymous

There were half a dozen privateers importing BMWs into the States. Story could be true.

Guest Anonymous

1970 Monte Shelton could get you a new ' 02 (or any one of a # of other imports not readily available), thou I have no illusion that he was a "dealer". I was active in the Porsche Club @ the time and one of the couples in the club had an ' 02, in addition to their ' 65 356.