Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Question: Average price for a used 4 spd?

13 posts / 513 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

pix-007.jpg

Need a replacement for my car. Not interested in dealing with synchro repairs, etc. - Trying to do some quick research on what I should spend on a used unit.

TIA

Guest Anonymous

The syncrows being a constant problem on the 4 speed trans basicly means there are no good used ones. The only way I would trust a used one would be in a parts car that I drove and parted my self. I personaly sell all 4-speeds as needing to be rebuilt. This puts them in the 50 to 100 range. somone may give you your money back if the trans is bad but you still have the lost time in swaping it. Only buy from somone who has driven the car and keep in mind LIKE new on ebay is well like used still.

I have also seen it where I can drive a car and it doesnt grind. The owner drove it with me in the car and it ground every time.

good luck

Sam

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

6-1441021.JPG

rebuild yours

buy USED ? $50 to 250

Guest Anonymous

solid advice. I agree.

But, I currently have my eyes on a recently rebuilt unit. Just wondering what it should cost. You are right - it makes little sense to just buy some other used trannie.

rebuild? - There are so many different washers/rings on trannies and I've never rebuilt one so I don't want to take a chance on messing it up on my first one. I don't mind working on engines, suspension etc. but I don't do trannies or brakes :)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

I am so sad to see the Tii go. I am at Bill W's house tonite, playing with his new toys, on my way to Philly for the week. Are you close buy north Philly? Would email but can seem to get that to work tonight

If you are close shoot me a note and maybe we can get together I am there till Wed night

Best to Lisette

Guest Anonymous

definitely give me a shout when you are in the area. Dinner and drinks on me.

email me offline for cell #. I'll be around this weekend..

Guest Anonymous

even with it being rebuit it has been drivn. Do you know the person that was driving it. REmember a wreck can do nasty things to the insides of trannies.

Sam

Guest Anonymous

cool. luckily this one was pulled from a rusting hulk. no accident but it has been sitting for over a year.

the owner never got a new shell and is now parting out.

thanks again for all your advice.

Guest Anonymous

Hi Mars,

I've got one you can have if you want to try your hand at a rebuild. I pulled it from a 74 today, it goes to the junk yard next week if nobody wants it.

Yours for what it costs me to ship it to you.

Rob.

68 1600.

Guest Anonymous

I just picked up a "supposed" rebuilt unit and paid decent money for it. Will put it in either next weekend or the following. I just got home with it right now (7:30pm EST).

REALLY appreciate the offer, though. Thanks man.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry buddy,

3 hours prior I was up to my elbows in grease pulling that puppy.

Good luck, Rob.