Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

More problems with dome light...

9 posts / 560 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

schwarz_tii_007.jpg

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/BMW.html

I am still trying to get my dome light to work. I used a volt meter to test the circuit and when I touch my positive lead to the + side of the dome light and the neg. lead to a ground, then I get 12v. When I touch the negative lead to the ground wire on the switch, I get 12v but only if the neg wire is disconnected. If I keep my lead attached to the neg wire, and touch the neg. end of the light bulb, then my meter drops to 0 volts. I get 0 volts when I check current across the bulb with all the wires connected.

The bulb checks out fine with the Ohm meter.

What the heck is going on??!?!?!

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, I missed your earlier post. This circuit works by providing

current and two ground paths. I presume you are saying that the

light does not work in either light-on switch position? What

happens if you ground the downstream side of the bulb with the

switch in either "on" position?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

you need to ground the outer portion of the switch to complete the circuit. On the drivers side door switch there are two wires on later models. One wire is for the dome light and the other wire is for the 'key in ignition' buzzer. Hope this info helps!

Steve Vonk

'76 2002 Inka (5 sp OD)

'74 2002 Atlantik

Guest Anonymous

fuse and the light bulb.

Steve Vonk

Guest Anonymous

071405HoodOpen.jpg

Maybe the screws that attach the assy are causing a short some way...just a thought. That kind of stuff can drive you crazy I know.

I would also remove both switches in the door jams and clean real good fwiw....never know.

Guest Anonymous

just to see if light works. If it does then you either have a poor +12v connection running back to fuse block or a bad ground wire running back through door switch. You can isolate which lead is bad by jumpering the +12 first to see if the light works and if not, then the ground wire and that should tell you which one needs fixing. If the light doesn't work then your bulb socket connections or dome light switch may be bad and you'll need a new dome light.