Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Front turn signal problems...Please HELP...

8 posts / 121 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Okay, here's the deal...problem began AFTER the car was in the body shop for some minor front end work... Possibly unrealted to the problem.

PROBLEM-

front turn signal brightness is nearly non-visible when the head lights are off (when looking at the element it barely brightens). When the head lights are on they flash bright and clear.The smaller element (5W) lights up for both the parking light AND the flasher. The 21W element never lights up in any scenario. The rear flashers work perfectly regardless of whether the headlights are on or not. The parking lights front and rear work perfectly as well.

QUESTION 1-

The correct bulb is the 5W/21W 12V right?

QUESTION 2-

Shouldn't the 21W element light up for the flasher and the 5W light up for the parking light?

THINGS I'VE DONE-

-Replaced the flasher relay

-Swapped the front bulbs

-Swapped the wires going into the flasher (thinking that the body shop could have hooked them up backwards)

I can't seem to figure this one out...I know there are some 02er's out there who have either experienced this or have some ideas as to how to fix it.

THANK YOU!

Guest Anonymous

it could be the 2 wires were reversed upon putting them back in, try that and see what happens. If the wires are reversed, the front turn signal, would be dim and the parking light would be too bright. Look into the grounds too, make sure you have a good, clean connection where the turn assemblyunits screw into the fenders, make sure those 2 sheet metal screws aren't rusty.

Tim

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response....read on...

Yes, the shop removed the left light assembly, but not the right...both have the same problem.

And yes, I tried reversing the wires...with the wires reversed I got no flashers OR parking lights at all...shouldn't this just switch which element lights?

This is very strange...

Guest Anonymous

you should get illumination, how about the hazard switch, working as it should?

Tim.

Guest Anonymous

I would suspect the ground connections first. Secondly, what shape are the contacts in the bulb holder and the bulb like? Clean them with emery cloth and try. You can take some short pieces of wire and extend a ground wire from elsewhere on the chassis to the light lead wires and see what happens.

Dim bulbs and bulbs flashing at odd rates are an indication of bad grounds and bad connections somewhere. Given that they worked on your fender, suspect wiring and contacts in that area.

Also check the bulbs at the rear tailights. I can't remember in a 2002, but one out or bad the rear can affect one at the front (and vice versa).

Guest Anonymous

bulb popped out of the socket maybe or in some cases, the glass part of the bulb can become loose, happened to me once or twice, I went to check a bulb, turned the bulb and the glass part would turn completely, came loose from the metal base., like Gil said though, check the grounds, inner bulb socket, and connections.

Tim.

Guest Anonymous

Got her working like new! The wires were switched AND the mounting screws were making a poor connection due to some over spray...

Thanks for the help!

Guest Anonymous

(nt)