Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Ferraris and age........

24 posts / 298 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

The older I get, the less likely it seems that I will get the Ferrari that I lusted after in my youth. I've lost interest and have better uses for money. Am I going to miss anything?? I really think these cars are way over-hyped and not really as great as myth would have it.

I saw a Dino 246GT dismantled once in a restoratin shop. I was dismayed to see how cheaply and poorly the cars were made under the shiny red paint job. For a while I thought about a 308GT4, but then discovered that they used numerous Fiat parts, like X1/9 door handles.

Ever notice that 99%, if not all, Ferraris for sale have only about 25K miles on them? I'm told its because they break down a lot and are always in the shop, and also that owners cannot afford to put miles on them because of the ridiculously high maintenance and repair costs.

So why own one? A 2002 has gotta be 1,000 times more fun to own and work on and drive. You'd never be able to do most of the modification and upgrade stuff like you can to a 2002.

So I have made peace with myself w.r.t to ever getting a Ferrari and am happy with a few Ferrari books and models on my shelf.

Am I alone on this??

Guest Anonymous

20-3028854.JPG

you'll get over it someday.

... please pass the main jets ! "

Guest Anonymous

Maybe get a Ferrari shift knob or something.

Guest Anonymous

I live in the town that Bobby Rahal grew up in. His family is still here. His brother just bought a 1 year-old Ferarri...not sure which one.

Anyway, my wife and kids took the 525iT to Michigan this past weekend and I stayed home. We have the wagon and my '02 which I drive in the summer. I drove it about 4 blocks into town and was fortuante enough to find a spot in front of the little Italian restaurant I was going to doing some solo dining in. Pulled into the space careful not to whack the Ferarri in front of me.

Walked into the place and the Rahal brother was at the bar. The minute I walked in I was grilled about the '71 Sahara by no fewer than 6 people. I kid you not...the hot blonde bartender looked at Rahal and said "Now THAT'S a cool car." I laughed...to myself, of course.

I'm certain he paid 50 times what I paid for my car.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

your Uni-Sync would have a full time job.

Guest Anonymous

and never the twain shall meet!

It's not that they're well-made, or better made than our '02's. It's that for certain people, a prancing horse makes their heart beat faster and puts a smile on their face. If having the books & models suffices for you, that's awesome! But don't reason away your desire; following that line of thinking would have a Porsche 917 amount to nothing more than a beat up old car and definitly not worth $1M+.

Maybe -I- should invest in a model car stable too... it would definitely let me own ALL the cars I've ever lusted after!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A few years ago I was parked at the Southern Yacht Club. As I was walking to my car a guy dashed out with the typical twenty questions starting with "What year 2002 is that?" Meanwhile, the cat parked across from me got into his red Modena and zoomed away unnoticed.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe add a Momo wheel, too.