Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

What transmission and final drive fluid

2 posts / 186 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

What transmission and final drive fluids are you using? I don't want to use Redline because I fear the leaks. I went to the Auto Parts store last night and the had a Castrol 80-90 weight to use in both. Should I use this or is there something better?

Guest Anonymous

...last weekend because of fears that a bearing was on its way out. Not more than a couple of cubic millimeters of shavings on the drain-plug magnet, thankfully.

Anyway, I put in Valvoline 85w140 dino juice. I think the tranny had Redline MTL in it before (P.O. did that, but didn't say what sort of Redline). The result seems to be that the crunching on second and occasionally third isn't much worse, and the shift feel is actually much better. And I think the Redline was leaking, as well, from the slop all over the bottom of the tranny. Don't know if the thick stuff will stop that, but I hope. YMMV.

-Dave

Colorado '71