Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

progress pics, little rust

8 posts / 433 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Ok, hopefully someone remembers me and my $50 1600-2. Anyway, I've started taking her apart to see what I have to work with. So far, there has been little to no rust found inside of the car. There is only minimal rust in the spare tire well, no rust under the back seats. I did find a mouse skeleton from who knows when, and it's still curled up!!! Someone suggested that I fossilize it and hang it from the rear view mirror to show how old the car is.

100_1289.jpg

100_1326.jpg

100_1281.jpg

100_1320.jpg

I do have some (more) questions. There are 2 drain like things under the rear seat that seem to collect water. Is there a way to unclog them?

Are these the stock seat belts? I wouldn't think that BMW would install belts made in New York City.

100_1307.jpg

I think that's all for now, next week's project is to tear down the engine (or just remove the head) to check the cylinder bores to make sure they are good and not scored.

Guest Anonymous

Going to weld that section of metal back in?

Looks to be in good shape otherwise. How are the rockers?

Rear Drain?? Not sure what you mean, perhaps where the subframe mounts to the body?

-Justin

'76 02

'97 m3

http://www.bmw2002.net

Guest Anonymous

Yep some sheet metal is going to go back in there, but it works good for a different perspective of the trunk area.

The rockers are really the only bad spots of rust, as they are rusted through.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

What is that hole thing, why is there water in it, and why doesn't the water leave quickly?

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I remembered a couple other questions too. How do I remove the carpet from around the pedals? Do these cars break shift linkages, causing you not to be able to get into 2 or 4 while sitting still? The PO thinks that the 2nd syncro is shot, and remembers there being a problem getting into 4th gear as well. Do you guys think it's a tranny issue, or that it could just be a linkage issue?

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

the back of the hole in the tunnel preventing going into 2nd or fourth correctly. Could be linkage or something internal. Get under there and look. Fourth gear synchros NEVER wear out because you never downshift into fourth.

Guest Anonymous

rust.jpg

URL: http://users.adelphia.net/~2002targa/index.htm

if the rear subframe mount is full of water, it's probably leaking down from the package shelf. check the lip that the window sits in real good for rust. also, that's probably why the mouse is so dissolved, it was damp. look under the matting under the mouse all the way across to the other side, there's probably rust there too.

the red areas in the pic are bad rust spots, pry the sound deadening stuff up a bit with a screwdriver to check. the big drain plugs like to rust and in the front lip where the firewall meets the floor and in the cannels under the matting on the floor.

and of course around the pedal box...

TK

PS. Love the mouse, if it was me, I'd superglue the skull on top of the rearview mirror....

Guest Anonymous

(nt)