Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

My negative has some positive

7 posts / 83 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

While in the process of installing my stereo system today , I used the hillbilly method (open mouth, insert wire, bite down, pull) to strip some insulation off my 8 gauge ground wire. Two sets of wire strippers right next to me, but old habits die hard I guess. Anyhow, I noticed the wire (grounded to a rear seatbelt bolt) had a slight charge! :o

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? All my fuses are intact and everything seems to work normal... for the most part. My fuel gauge has a tendency to behave a bit like a voltmeter when the bass hits. In addition, my little flashing fake alarm LED has lost its motivation to flash, settling instead on a constant red glow.

Where should I start?

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

I'm assuming you saw a spark. That is because the ground is completing the circuit. The current will flow from the positive to the Negative (which is ground) And hence the spark. I imagine you had the unit turned "on" and when you touched the ground wire to the chassis it sparked. I'm also in the process of installing a huge system in my car

alan

Guest Anonymous

No spark, just a definite detectable current in the ground wire. The amp was indeed receving power from the 12v lead, however I was not touching it or any other device receiving power, nor was the ground wire touching the amp. Wait a sec... the amp chassis was grounded by being bolted to the metal. Ah, I think I understand now. So nothing to worry about then?

Guest Anonymous

No. I suppose that might've made for a more interesting story though. :P

Guest Anonymous

I don't think I understand you. Do you mean check them for a short? I've done this, but perhaps I should look around some more. I assumed that if the insulation was stripped and the chassis came in contact with a charged wire, a fuse would blow. Not always?