Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

thanks Steve Vonk....but...

5 posts / 88 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I discovered that the wire from the alt. to the timing cover was broken (good call!). I replaced that with a 14 gauge wire (not sure what gauge I should use). I jumped the battery and it started up fine but the red light still came on. Does the red light mean the battery is low (btw, yes it comes on when I turn the key in the run position as well as while it is running)? When I "beeped" the horn the RPM needle drops down and the horn makes no sound, wierd. Maybe the battery is completly dead but I don't think it should act like that if it is. I got home and turned the car off and it would not start again. Dead battery. It is less than 6 mos old. I am not sure how to check the bushings. Maybe I'll have to just replace the alt. I don't know how this could happen just from replacing the belt. >:(

thanks for your reply!

Guest Anonymous

It has to carry the full amperage the alt puts out, don't remember the guage but it should be as big as the fat red wire on the positive terminal. Any fat wire will do for a temporary fix but you should get a proper one soon, if it breaks you will have no power again.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. I'll put a fatter gauge on. I have 10 gauge which looks closer to the right size. I just thought it was a ground wire or something since it runs from the atl. to the timing cover. Question: Isn't the alternator supposed to help charge the battery? I am trying to figure out if I should get a new one or new battery. Maybe the battery just ran down past the point of re-charging.

Guest Anonymous

It is exactly that, a ground wire. The circuit needs to be completed from the alternator to the battery to the engine block and back to the alternator, without that fat ground wire you have no current path and thus no charging of the battery. With a tiny wire you have some semblance of a path but nothing could work correctly, Put on a proper size ground wire and then see if your system works correctly.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.jennaishealed.com

over that short distance, a 10 gauge wire will be fine. batteries can be tested at any LAPS for free, same with the alternator. Good luck with it :)