Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Door Latching: Click, Click not Thud

4 posts / 183 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

How can I improve the sound and feel of my doors as they latch? I'm tired of the rusty pick-up slam that I experience now. I want the sound of precision, this is a German car after all!

Guest Anonymous

German percision is hard to get with an 02, especially since they dont have window frames. It will never be a Mercedes.

Putting some sound deadening material in the doors is supposed to help. I will be doing this sometime soon.

Guest Anonymous

First off - most of the rattle is caused by missing lock rod grommets. These are clear nylonish / plastic rings that go on the end of each actuating rod in the door (3 per door).

To replace the grommets, remove door panel, then loosen the three 8mm bolts on the release lever in the center of the door. It will drop down with the rod attached where you can slide it off the car, insert the lock rod grommet. Next - take an impact screwdriver and loosen the screws holding the actual LATCH to the door. You'll remove the whole thing - rubber buffer pad, etc. Now - slide it down into the lower half of the door where you can reach it as well. Remove horizontal rod, install grommet in the hole - as well as the vertical lock actualtor rod hole from the pushbutton rod.

Thoroughly lubricate ANYTHING that slides, moves, pivots, or twitches. I use brakleen to rinse out all the clay like goop from the latch, then spray on a light lubricant (Wurth makes a KILLER high adhesive lubricant for this kind of stuff - like WD 40 only sticky enough to stay put - and doesn't evaporate like WD40.) Use Moly grease on all the window sliders (Lithium grease, though tempting - turns to clay after a year or so - I don't recommend it here)

Make sure you replace the plastic water barrier sheet before reinstalling the door panel(thick plastic and 3M spray adhesive works great).

Tools required:

flat screwdriver

phillips screwdriver

spray adhesive

6 lock rod grommets (BMW nr 52 20 8 238 999)

slippery stuff for re-lubrication

Takes about 1-2 hours to do both doors.

They will close like BANK VAULTS when you're done. One of the least expensive / highly satisfying tasks you can perform on an 02!!!!!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

Anyone have a source for the white nylon guide blocks that fit on the vertical glass slide bars in the doors? Missing ones contribute to door/window rattles.