Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

alternator question

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys. I need some advice. I ordered a new alternator belt for my 73. When I got it I discovered as I put it on that it was too long. I couldn"t get it tight enough because the alternator was hitting on the water pump. I went to a local auto parts store and matched up the size of a new one to the one I had. The only difference is that on the one that came off of the car had the notched side up and it tapered to a "v" down to the smooth side, which was the bottom side. The new one was the opposite, smooth side up tapering to the notched end so that the notches are on the bottom side. Following me? ok. So, later that night I started the car and the red "L" light was on. I believe that means the alt. is not charging the battery. Less that a week later (this morning) I discovered my battery is completly dead. Does anyone know if I need a belt like the one that was on before with the notches on the top side or does it matter? It may be a bad alternator but it seems wierd that it would go bad just as I replaced the belt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

when you changed the belt the wiring may have disconnected from the alternator. A good indication is that the red light was on after the belt change. Look at the connections on the back of the alternator. Make sure the three prong connector is correctly connected and the nut on the B+ wire is tight. The ground wire to the timing chain cover is important too.

Steve Vonk

'76 2002 Inka (5 sp OD)

'74 2002 Atlantik

Guest Anonymous

I discovered that the wire from the alt. to the timing cover was broken (good call!). I replaced that with a 14 gauge wire (not sure what gauge I should use). I jumped the battery and it started up fine but the red light still came on. Does the red light mean the battery is low (btw, yes it comes on when I turn the key in the run position as well as while it is running)? When I "beeped" the horn the RPM needle drops down and the horn makes no sound, wierd. Maybe the battery is completly dead but I don't think it should act like that if it is. I got home and turned the car off and it would not start again. Dead battery. It is less than 6 mos old. I am not sure how to check the bushings. Maybe I'll have to just replace the alt. I don't know how this could happen just from replacing the belt. >:(

thanks for your reply!

Guest Anonymous

it can not be up against the alternator