Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Gas Tank Venting

5 posts / 227 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

The 02 I recently purchased is missing the carbon filter in the gas tank vent line. As a result, I have an annoying slight smell of gas when I open the trunk. Does anyone have any suggested alternatives to finding a new carbon filter canister? Looks like the original two hoses that connect to the outlet are still there presumably venting to the outside somewhere? Does anyone know why there are two? I guess I could purchase a section of hose and connect the hoses together?

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.dagsites.com/emissions.htm

The charcoal canister is supposed to be under the hood.

In the trunk, there's supposed to be a vapor condensation tank under the parcel shelf.

The venting is like this:

tank(trunk)-->vapor tank(trunk)-->hose through cabin-->charcoal(underhoood)-->aircleaner

In the trunk you need to look at the integrity of all hoses, filler tube, tank sender seal, and the tank seams.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. The car has a weber 32/36 carb conversion but will check to see if the canister is still under the hood.

Guest Anonymous

It's prpbably not.

Really, you can just vent the tank through the trink floor somewhere towards the rear. Depending on the yera, there's supposed to be a hole in the center, rear of the trunk floor behind the license plate where the euro cars were factory vented.

If your car is pre-74, you can still get the euro pre-shaped vent pipe that runs from the rubber filler neck inside the trunk to the center rear floor hole in the trunk. I don't have the part number handy.

Guest Anonymous

As long as the EVAP hose portions that are within the trunk are intact, your gas smell back there is probably not related to the missing canister in the engine bay.

Leaking fuel tanks are common, look for a wet area around the mid-seam flange.