Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Gas/temp guage problems

11 posts / 454 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

In my 74 tii, I put an earlier black 72/73 guage console because the black looks so much better than wood grain. Lately the temp guage goes immediately into the red after starting and a few minutes later drops to normal temp reading. Last week, I drove my tii up from San Diego to my new place in Santa Maria and the guage read full the whole time. Do I have a grounding problem? I recently had San Diego Speed Tech go through the speedo and tach on the console. The fuel sender is recent. Bill Holmes in San Diego went totally through my tii this past spring, the tii spent three months at his shop. Tii runs awesome, I just want to know how much gas I've got and my temp!!!

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

from the chassis to the temp/gas portion of the cluster.

Guest Anonymous

VIR02smoke.jpg

may not be the same as your problem, but:

when i pulled the gauge, there was a burn mark on the PCB which had ruined a few PCB connections. swapping the gauge with a dirrerent one fixed the issue.

now, that said, i also have a grounding issue in my project car that effects the temp gauge making it jump when the brake pedal is depressed.

i'm sure that didn't help one bit.

Guest Anonymous

gauge unit from W&N, haven't installed it yet. I know I have a ground problem also, my temp gauge moves with my turn signals and raises when my headlights are on.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

their is a ground connection under the dash,its behind the cluster

Guest Anonymous

for guages. I'll see if I can find it and post

Guest Anonymous

You can always add a ground behind the cluster in very little time to see if that does the trick. Just ground it to the sheet metal behind the cluster. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Guest Anonymous

After checking all the dash grounds etc it was still happening. I ended up just running a ground wire from the intake plenum to the body and all the guages settled right down. If all else fails try that -- takes like 2 mins

Guest Anonymous

A 'ground' is a connection, just like a wire. It uses the car body as a wire.

For the temp gauge the relevant grounds are:

1. From the temp sensor to the body. This is the fatter leg of the battery ground cable. It also assumes a good electrical connection between the coolant manifold and the head and the block.

2. From the battery to the body. This is the skinnier leg of the battery ground cable.

3. From the temp gauge to the body. This is the cluster circuit board, connector, and brown ground wire to the heater box mounting bolt.

For the fuel gauge the relevant grounds are:

1. From the fuel level sensor to the body. This is the brown wire from the sensor to the body under the trunk floor.

2. From the battery to the body. This is the skinnier leg of the battery ground cable.

3. From the fuel gauge to the body. This is the cluster circuit board, connector, and brown ground wire to the heater box mounting bolt.

The 'add a wire to the rear of the instrument cluster' fix repairs the gauge-to-body ground.

My gauges both peg just as yours do. When I get around to diagnosing it, I'll post a complete report. Clue: Just after a cold start, the gauges are correct; they peg after warm-up.