Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

is there a way to rebuild the steering box?

5 posts / 376 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

the adjustment on mine has been maxed out for

years (searched "steering box rebuild" but thought

I'd ask anyway)

Guest Anonymous

Was just thinking about taking it apart and seeing what was involved. realoem has a diagram of whats in there. Was thinking I could polish up the screw and replace gaskets and/or anything else that is worn.

Kinda scared to get started though as this is a CR box I don't want to completely ruin it.

Guest Anonymous

I do not find those parts in my Wolloth & Nesch list, so I'm skeptical. Perhaps somene else will know if they are available. Call your freindly local BMW dealer, I guess.

You'll be thrilled to know that W&N offers a new (remanufactured?) steering box for like $670 Euros and Real OEM lists it for $977.20. But I don't think Real OEM actually sells parts (yet?).

Part no 32 11 2 670 002

A description of the procedure can be found in Haynes Manual, Chapter 11, pg 183. I have an Intereurope Workshop Manual which describes it too. It's probably covered by Chilton and or Clymer, but those are in the trunk and not handy.

More info than you wanted, I know.

-Paul in Richmond.

Guest Anonymous

At least they used to rebuild steering boxes.

In fact, I think they were the first to offer rebuilding services.

Guest Anonymous

I just bought one from 2002ad for $95.

The old one was leaking like crazy. The rebuilt box has plenty of adjustment and there's no play in the steering. I'm very happy with it. Although 2002ad took their sweet ass time getting it to me. A couple of follow up calls & 2 weeks before they even got it out the door. But, good box though.