Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

What's up with Calif. drivers?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Just had a fantastic trip to Calif. and back (from B.C.), but the drivers on I-5 in Calif. are really annoying!!

Why is it no one uses turn signals? It's not only unsafe, it's rather rude.

Why is it drivers stay in the fast lane for miles and miles when you come up behind them, and won't let you past? What happened to "right lane is for slow traffic"?

And my all time favorite: Why is it drivers with 2 persons or more in their cars think they are REQUIRED to drive in the HOV lanes and then drive slower than the slow lane?? Arghh...

Is governor Arnie giving away licences these days?

Guest Anonymous

You've hit all 3 states en-route and all three behaviours belong in their appropriate state...

1. No turn signal lane changes. California. But hey at least they merge "ahead". Talk about people who want to go somewhere, I always enjoy driving down there, people pay attention, and are motivated to get to where there going (not like here).

2. Left lane squatting. Say hello the the beautiful state of Oregon. I've been bitchin' about this for YEARS. They are sooo f***cked up about this. One time on the way back from Napa, I had to actually nearly run somebody off the road to get in the left lane because they were so sitting there and not keeping up with traffic... Of course I was 20klbs and 50+ feet long, tonnage always wins.

3. HOV squattters. AHHH welcome to Washington, make sure and sip your latte and talk on the phone because you're not actually in your car to f*(***cking go ANYWHERE, it's just a nice place to talk and have coffee. I hate the way people drive here, noboby pays attention, nobody really wants to go anywhere!!!

.end of rant.

------------

BigDog

'76 2002

Too many miles driven!

Guest Anonymous

They drive even slower than in Oregon, I didn't think that was possible.

Guest Anonymous

beavis.gif

...though it doesn't seem to make anyone drive faster. Go figure, they must have built up a tolerance.

Marty

Guest Anonymous

Not sure about a latte in Wash. tho, unless they add porta-potties along the I-5 through Seattle. It must taken almost 2 hours to drive through! Once upon a time, you could drive right through at the posted speed limit. I guess it is Bill Gates fault? At least it's not as bad as LA traffic which took us at least 3 hours to get through.

Now I know how to drive smarter through Seattle too: When northbound near downtown, you go in the left turn off lane, which is a mile or 2 long, and then when you get to the turnoff, you go "oops" and cut back into the fast lane. This is good for saving maybe a 1/2 hour in stop and go traffic. This is Seattle "etiquette."

As for Oregon, when you cross the Columbia river, make sure you have taken a Valium first, 'cuz the network of overpasses is screwy enough to make you wanna drive into the river. While in Oregon, everyone seems to drive the same speed in all lanes, so all you can do is just go with the flow.... This is Oregon "etiquette." Arghh.... The only thing worse in Oregon is having to follow motorhomes along the coast the whole way.

Actually, the smartest thing to do is drive the I-5 at night, which can be way more fun anyway.

Guest Anonymous

the far left lane is for blocking and picking fights with those who want to get someplace TODAY!

Guest Anonymous

These people do all those things and more. Many of them when getting on the highway will stop on the ramp to make sure it is clear to merge.

They will drive 55 in a 65 in the left lane and when you go to pass them, they quickly change lanes without the turn signal. As you are slamming on the brakes and going to the left, they freak out and go back to the left.

of course at least it isn't Mississippi, the land of optional insurance and red light runners having the right of way if they are in the intersection first. Basically, you wait a few seconds for people to finish running the red before you go through your green. Oh, and if you slow down for a yellow that you could have made by flooring it, expect to get rear ended.

Guest Anonymous

I am surprised no one is on to this "group." The people that exhibit this behavior are all members of a secret society known as: "The Antidestination League" You must know someone that is already "in" to be invited "in." They occasionally have recruiting drives and solicit mostly AARP members. You may be invited to join inpromptu if you pull next to them while they are in the fast lane and match their speed in the slow lane, although this is very rare. There is a splinter group known as the "Safety Nazis" They are considerably more radical in their driving habits. They are most easily recognized by their behavior, to keep you "safe", they may actually endanger you! I kid you not, it is in their creed! Watch out for all of them and do not attempt to infiltrate they WILL find you out! "Z"

Guest Anonymous

Some of the times I find the right lane completely empty and I can go 80 in it while people sit in the left two lanes going the speed limit, kinda funny. One spot on I-5 going south coming out of Mt. Vernon where you start heading up a hill and get a 4th lane, nobody goes in it, so thats my chance to pass as many as I can, hit 85 fly by them and get ahead of those annoying packs of cars!!

I have noticed on my commmute from bellingham to Sedro woolley and back that people that drive then, they know how to stay in the right lane unless passing, which I thought was a concepty unknown of here in good ol washington.

California drivers are better, and its quite obvious when you take a trip from washington to California, you hit the border and things change. But, i'd rather people go 5-10 over like they kinda do here compared to the 85 in a 60 like they do in southern Cali. I guess i'd rather get there safe then have someone RUSHING and cause an accident. I've had 5 accidents happen right in front of me in 4 months, one of them a car going 130MPH or so, so i'm touchy when I see people diving in and out. So I yell at them, all you can do when you have no horn ...

Blah blah blah, dinners ready

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

you're in the SLOW lane!

Guest Anonymous

$2000 to get a license - takes you 2 years, and only when you turn 18. Sure I'd be a pissed off 16 year-old, but most 16 years-olds are pissed about something. Also, no billboards on the autobahn, no one eating/reading/screwing/watching cartoons/sleeping while driving, and you can be arrested for blocking the fast lane. Though you'll probably be killed by a mach-speed Ruf or Brabus before that happens.

Guest Anonymous

P1010411.jpg

Rechts Fahren rules!

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Here is a picture of one in Berlin.