Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Mobil 1 15-50 is making me nervous . . .

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I just changed from my normal 20-50 to M1 15-50, and I did a valve adjust with new gasket at the same time. I know my torque for the cam cover on a new gasket to prevent leaking, but damn, the M1 leaked and I had to tighten down more than normal to stop it. Is it possible the M1 creates more pressure as it fills in the microscopic pores better? I have to make an L.A. to S.L.O. run at 4am (beat the heat) tomorrow, and I'm tempted to chuck the M1 and pour some GTX back in. Perhaps the M1 leaking reputation comes from increased sealing and better pressure. Any thoughts? TIA.

t13.jpg

Guest Anonymous

the mobil did not disappear but the castrol did on a run from texas to to South Dakota

Guest Anonymous

you should not have issues with any oil.

I would remove the cover again. Clean all surfaces, inspect cover for warping. Put cover back on, follow factory torque sequence .

I use 15w-50 with no issues. I've had one leak in the front of the lower timing cover since day one, but it is not enough to warrant me removing the lower pulley to fix it.

-Justin

'76 02

'97 m3

http://www.bmw2002.net

Guest Anonymous

6Posterpiclarger.jpg

be it motor oil, tranmission or diff fluids. Seems it is more viscous or just wants to get out more than organic stuff.

Guest Anonymous

The shop I use recommended it when I switched my E30 M3 to synthetic. Said for whatever reason that they experience less leak issues with it than any other synthetic. I've had very good luck with it and recently changed my stg2 02 engine (with 4k since the re-build) over as well with no issues.

Guest Anonymous

the Mobil 1 is the only variable changed with this car in 15 years of ownership. I put Redline synthetic gear oil in my 533i, tranny and diff, and it made so much noise I put the normal fluids back. Whether the synth has the same viscosity isn't questionable by me, but it flows through seals, cracks and whatever easier as if by capillary action. One other possibility is that the BMW dealer cam-cover gasket material is different than before. Weird.

Guest Anonymous

1) The gasket

2) The oil

Usually people blame the synthetic on making some existing oil leak much worse, not introducing one with a new gasket.

I've removed/reinstalled the valve cover many times. I had a similar issue once, tried to tighten more and more. Finally I just removed, cleaned, and reinstalled. No more leak.

I've had new gaskets do bizarre things, some new ones don't seem to be made as nicely as the original stuff.

-Justin

Guest Anonymous

bad things eventually happen to the cam and needs to be replaced.

Guest Anonymous

14-7587945.jpg

remove the cover, clean the cover and gasket,

put a dab of silicone sealer at the front timing cover/head gaps and reinstall.

tighten the two middle nuts and "X" tighten away from the center tightening the front center last.

Enjoy the new juice - it's ok.

Guest Anonymous

Your mechanic doesn't know much about oil except it makes his fingers slick.

All oils when new will be within the SAE prescribed range of viscosity for the SAE grade on the label. It's after the oil has been run a while where suprises occur. Out of about 10 major oils on the market within the same SAE grade, Amsoil has the least volatile boil off and so you are not running on the dregs. It also will have the least wear in a Shell Oil developed test called a Shell 4-ball wear test. And in practice you will see the results in the first 3/4 inch of cylinder wear where it's too hot for other oils.

JK, P.E. Calif, Colorado, Wisconsin, Indiana, Alberta CA.

Guest Anonymous

He obviously doesn't read any of the independant testing lit (in which Amsoil is consistantly at/near the top). I use Amsoil racing oil in my Dinan S2 M5 which produces about 470hp along with the 02, E30 M3, and E30 track car with excellent results. But oil is like icecream, everyone has their favorite.

Guest Anonymous

If synthetic was used all along the seals wouldn't have gotten old and crappy.

Guest Anonymous

15-50 synthetic and 20-50 dino oil are basically identical in viscosity. in fact at operating temperature they are viscously identical. Neither is any "thinner" than the other (except in this example when the oil is cold). thats what the numbers mean. a fifty weight is a fifty weight. yes, thats a period.

-Rob