• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mustang II aircleaner on 32/36 Weber. (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was asked to post some pics of the details of my conversion of this part for use on the 32/36, so here's the basic story;

The aircleaner is from the 2.3 engined Mustang II. I'm not sure which years, but saw several in my local Pick & Pull. I "did" install a different snout from another Ford aircleaner to fit more easily with the inlet hose from the preheater. All the Ford aircleaners seem to use a similar bolt spacing for the snout. I still had to extend the oem hose to reach the aircleaner. You may wish to use another approach. The pics posted show the 1/4" X 6.5" plastic adaptor I cut out to fit the top of the carb. I used Lexan which is what is used for aircraft windows. It's durable and not affected by the engine heat. Also easy to cut, drill and file to fit. The aircleaner is aluminum and has a steel base-plate/flange that needs to be cut out. It's possible with offset sheet metal shears or a metal blade saber saw. The gasket to edge the cut out on the bottom of the cleaner is simply a length of vacuum hose that was split lengthwise using a "seam-ripper". A sewing tool that is cheap and easy to find. The split hose works well to edge sharp metal and makes a fine seal between the aircleaner and the plastic base plate. I then picked up a couple longer studs (2.5") for the carb, to reach through the top of the unit and installed my hose fittings. In my case there's the valve cover breather and the air pump inlet line. I covered the other fitting holes in the side of the aircleaner with adhesive backed gray rubber stair tread material, but you can also use aluminum peel and stick tape, or pop rivet an aluminum panel over them. This aircleaner is much lighter than the stock steel unit and does not need the side bracket to hold it firmly. The pictures I'm posting show the plastic adaptor plate off and on the carb, and the cut-out opening in the aircleaner with the split-hose edge gasket. The filter I'm using for now is a Fram #CA 303. It was easy to find at Wal-mart, but I'll likely use the # to cross reference to another brand. Hope I haven't left out anything, but if so let me know and I'll try to post more. This cleaner clears the hood just fine and strangely enough has a "roundel" design in the lid. "How do it know?".

Don

eng2.jpg

carb adaptor.jpgcarb adaptor2.jpgaircleaner2.jpgaircleaner3.jpgaircleaner4.jpg