Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

5 speed CR install. To hell, and back.

13 posts / 175 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

God have I suffered today. Sun is very hot. There is no wind and I work under a oily car, jacked 18 inches high. It took me about 6 tentatives before I could engage the transmission. The bellhousing is wider than a 4 speed, so room is at a premium. I rremoved the dizzy and the oil pressure sender in order to tilt the motor to ease the process. After each tentaive, I would go for a shower as I was soaked with sweat, and black from the gunk under the car. I swore to all the existing God, until I gave a final try for the day, I kicked the tranny from the back with my foot, and woooops, the tranny engaged by magic.

I fastened all the bolts, and then realized that the clipthat holds the clutch lever has disangaged on the bottom hole. Damn. I removed all the bolts, ready to lower the transmission until I git that idea. I will use a thin wire and try to hook the lower clip. And it worked.

Reinstalled all the bolts, bled the new slave cylinder upside down and installed it, and checked if it worked. It did. All right.

Tomorrow, time to fabricate the bracketry to hold the transmission.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Contemplating a few different ideas for mine.

Guest Anonymous

Or something like what 2002Haus and Metric Mechanic make. But in both cases, I don't like the geometry. It might be fine, but I am full of doubts. maybe it is me.

Guest Anonymous

you should have come here, the floor in my garage is coooool ;)

Plus i got plenty of parts, that help when doing any mods. Plus a mig welder,...

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

IM002253.jpg

Some take the bellhousing bolts or ones like them, cut the heads off, slot the top of the bolt, start them in the holes, place the transmission over the studs, use a screwdriver to back out the studs and install new/good bolts.

Glad you got it in, sounds very similar to my first tranny install lying on my back.

Guest Anonymous

Because the car is being raced, I need stiffer tranny mounts. So, I will make a set of mounts with bushings on each side of the tranny. I will keep some compliance, but it will be limited.

A urethane bushing in a steel sleeve, at the horizontal. The sleeve is bolted to the stock mounting tabs. On the tranny, a bracket on each side, that will bolt to the urethane bushings. I have a spare set of urethane trailing arm bushings and will probably use them.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

I checked the pattern, it iis a 5 CR with reverse on top left, and 1st on bottom left.