Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Recommend me a good book/website for intake design

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I need formulas for optimal valve to butterfly and valve to Airhorn distance. This is for sidedraught throttlebodies on a 2.0 m10 with a 7000rpm redline.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

cut to the chase - there is a TON of published information about intake and exhaust design. And with out a exhaust 'design' - intake is useless. Exhaust extracts the air flow through the combustion chamber - pulling the intake charge in. Suck in - pump out - scavange in between.

Just visit any book seller and the listings for Intake and Exhaust design, Increasing Engine Horsepower, Intake and Fuel systems, any WEBER Carburetor Tuning Book.

WHAT have you read already.

Guest Anonymous

27-1525741.JPG

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

15-9675100.JPG

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

7-9011665.JPG

this one is for LEE and his Air Box Skunk Werks

Guest Anonymous

20-3028854.JPG

and it all depends on how will the motor be

used which determines the best set-up for that motor and you , the driver.

the wide-open throttle , long straights - pure top speed require a short run intake with huge bore intake - bigger carb throat venturies

a motor that spends most of it's life accellarating from idle to red line in short quick durations and lower rpm pulling and quick throttle responce is needed - then longer intake with smaller carb throat diameters are needed - and longer trumpets

read all you can.....

Guest Anonymous

I have buy one from RObert Bentley site, called design of intake and exshaust manifold, the book is black.

dont have more info, the book is a reprint of an old edition that dates back to the 70's or older, it covers a lot of old technical things that are still relevant.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

you may be better off buying throttle bodies, twm, weber-marelli, jenvey make very good ones.

Guest Anonymous

intstead I picked up some 38mm throttles off a Suzuki 600. I am building a manifold using the flange cut off a 318i mani. I just need to know how long to make the runners. I'll also make my own Airhorns. The good thing about the suzuki throttles is that the linkage is very simple and they already have a throttle position sensor that can be used with megasquirt.

Guest Anonymous

I have Corky Bell's Maximum Boost and he touches on manifolds generally, but there are no formulas for runner length.

I wish I were back in Burbank, CA. Autobooks is the coolest store I have ever seen!

Guest Anonymous

Figure out a way of making the length adjustable temporarily, like with hoses and hose clamps so you can try different lengths to see what works the best. All that book stuff is theoretical BS anyway, anything involving airflow is wierd science-it won't work exactly like the formula says. That's why they need wind tunnels. Put it together and do a bunch of dyno runs and road tests at different lengths before you weld anything up.

Tom

I fuck around with high speed airflow for a living.

Guest Anonymous

I'm working on getting some TWM or QED or Weber throttle bodies and re-starting my megasquirt plans.