• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just wondering.What do 02 owners think of Datsun 510's?...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

They are not the ONLY cool cars.If you go with the 510 let us know how it works out for you. If 02's rusted, you could watch the Japanese iron oxidize before your very eyes. That is not an exaggeration.

Of course I lived in the salt capitol of the world then. Goof luck with it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

They look good, cool little boxy car just like ours! At one time I was thinking of switching over to a 510 cause i've always wanted one. Brian Capp (the Seattle area 02 mechanic) I guess used to be into 510's before 2002's and he told me to keep the 2002 because its a MUCH better car in pretty much all respects. Drives better, handles etc. So yeah, considering my car was a ton O fun to drive, I didn't like the idea of downgrading my loved little car. So one day i'd like a nice 510, but right now being $ and space limited, i'll stick with my 02.

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

and clothed them with 2dr sheet metal for there race cars, the 4 door had a ton of stiffining already added.

Guest Anonymous

The dimensions of the 510 are smaller, but it still need just as much stiffening as an 02. Sheet metal is awful, but good for racing. If you're a full grown man, you will find that you have to bend down to see the traffic light because the roof is on top of your head. The seats sre also awful. There is no comparison between the race history of the M10 and Nissans L series motors. The L motor of the Datsun does not offer as much tuning flexibility, although it is a very good motor, but a generation older from the M10. There are some very fast carefully prepared 510s ou in the vintage racing world, but you can't base the performance potential of these cars by comparing priva

Guest Anonymous

The dimensions of the 510 are smaller, but it still need just as much stiffening as an 02. Sheet metal is awful, but good for racing. If you're a full grown man, you will find that you have to bend down to see the traffic light because the roof is on top of your head. The seats sre also awful. There is no comparison between the race history of the M10 and Nissans L series motors. The L motor of the Datsun does not offer as much tuning flexibility, although it is a very good motor, but a generation older from the M10. There are some very fast carefully prepared 510s ou in the vintage racing world, but you can't base the performance potential of these cars by comparing priva

Guest Anonymous

The dimensions of the 510 are smaller, but it still needs just as much stiffening as an 02. Sheet metal is awful, but good for racing. If you're a full grown man, you will find that you have to bend down to see the traffic light because the roof is on top of your head. The seats sre also awful. There is no comparison between the race history of the M10 and Nissans L series motors. The L motor of the Datsun does not offer as much tuning flexibility, although it is a very good motor, but a generation older from the M10. There are some very fast carefully prepared 510s out in the vintage racing world, but you can't base the performance potential of these cars by comparing privateer 02s to factory sponsored 510s in the TRans Am series. Either way, the cars were neck to neck along with the Alfa GTV and the 510 only won the series on a technicality. BMW thought of that series as amaturish. They were racing works 02s in the grueling European Touring Car series (6-12 hour endurance races). The Alfas in the Trans Am series were also privateer cars. They were in no way even close to the 1.3 1nde 1.6 liter GTAs the factory was fielding in Europe. 220 HP Alfa GTAs with 1300lb aluminum bodies. If you had a bimmer in the 70s and 80s all the 510 rabble wanted to prove to you how much better their "Chepaer" cars were. Everybody and their dog had a 510 then in some tune or another.

I worked on many of my friends' 510s. Good car, but to try to prove that it is better than an 02 or Alfa is stretching it.

Slavs

Guest Anonymous

My friend Alain who have now several Alfa and one Lancia fulvia 1300 raly s.

He used to have one years ago, it was amazing at how it handled and hauled, i am not sure but i think he got a 1800cc with delortos and a header. Cool.

Pat Allen