• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just wondering.What do 02 owners think of Datsun 510's?...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been a loyal 2002 owner for a while now, I've owned 3, and

because of this I belive I have been rather biased against the 510. But,

recently I decided to do some research and I have grown quite fond of

these little machines. There is soooo much potential it seems.

Swapping in torquey modern nissan powerplants is a breeze and quite

inexpensive. Asthetically, I am more fond of the the 02, but

mechanically, I think I am liking the 510 more. I was also surprised to

find out that the 510 was released a year before the 02 (in '67 as a '68

model) which apparently disproves the idea that it is a "copy" of the

'02. So now that my subjective opinion is out there, what do you guys

think?

ps Im ready to get scolded for this. : )

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

not exactly beautiful, but rarer than chickens teeth in Europe. However,

it is a Datsun - a company that brought us the Sunny among other

useless bits of metal that tarnished their brand in the UK up until

pretty recently.

The 240 never sold in so many numbers in the UK, so it's the shit cars

their remembered for.

Guest Anonymous

The 510 was the Nissan's answer to the BMW 1600-2, released in 1966. The 1600-2 is the same car as the 2002, except with a smaller 1.6 liter engine. The Nissan top brass was so impressed with the 1600-2, as much of the motor world, that they ordered into production a car with similar characteristics.

The 510 is also rated at 96hp, just as the 1600-2.

The 1600-2 evolved into the 2002 in 1968 while the 510 evolved into the 510SSS (1.8 liter with special head) in the early 70s.

The BMW is a sturdier and better thought out car. The Bimmers sheet metal work also lasted much longer. The 510 engine is a copy of the Mercedes motor. The 510 is a very capable car when properly prepared for rscing. In my opinion, it only looks very good in full race trim. There are not as many left since many rusted out, and in an ironic twist of faith, it is the more expensive to restore since parts are getting sparser.

Slavs

Guest Anonymous

possible for seemeengly less than an '02 (m20 or e30 s14). One can

put a ka24de (155hp/160 torque) motor out of a 240sx right in. An

sr20det out of a skyline! 200rwhp! And pretty much any other

desirable nissan engine offered. The key here is ease, regarding

necessary modification.

Guest Anonymous

IM002253.jpg

Loved it, dual points and all, came without any tape system, made a wooden console for a new cassette deck. Would autocross in at the local Sears and Roebuck lot, sold it to my sister in law when the wife and I bought an MGB. That was a mistake - selling it to my sister in law and buying the MG

Guest Anonymous

the 510s are actually a more-stout chassis than 02s. Stiffer. This is based on the fact that the 510s needed less chassis reinforcement inside than the 02s back then for that famous series where the factory works datsuns came out on top of the privateer BMWs. Hard to believe (personally i tend to just think "tin can" when i see a 510, although i do like em), but apparently the 02 is the tin can compared to the 510s!!

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

But its super easy to get ahold of over here in the US and they aren't too expensive. Instead of my 2002 i was also considering 3 other cars... 1) Porsche 914, 2) Alfa GTV, and 3) Datsun 510. If i was going with the 510 i was planning on throwing in a lightly modded SR20DET. With a few hundred dollars worth of work those motors put out close to 300. I mean they are at like 200-220 stock. Talk about a beast though.

Guest Anonymous

I had a 72 two door. Great little car. Had it with wide tires, red paint with black trim, black interior. Ran Great until another driver decided the red light meant "GO" and totalled it. Never had another one,